Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
cduff

Ditra + Tile Meeting Wood Floor

Hi all -

This forum has helped me out immensely as I tackle a bathroom remodel. As I'm prepping my floor for tile I'm second guessing myself and thought I'd check in with the pros.

I have hardwood floors outside my bathroom and I'm wanting the bathroom tile to be flush (floor guy already did a wood threshold across the doorway) and am trying to determine if I need to add an additional layer of plywood or if I can add a bit of extra thinset near the threshold to match the height of the floor.

The particulars:
Hardwood floor finished height: 11/16"
Ditra: 1/8"
Tile thickness: 1/4"

I originally thought about adding a piece of 5mm (~3/16") lauan down but realized that would only leave me about 1/16" of space for thinset which doesn't seem reasonable from what I've read on other posts and ultimately put me 1/16" - 1/8" too tall.

I then read in another post that 9/16" is a good estimate for that combination of tile and ditra + added height from thinset. So now it looks like I have a couple of options if that estimate is correct.

If I don't use the extra layer of plywood, can I reasonably make up the space (~1/8") with a bit of extra thinset at the threshold and essentially slope the tiles into the bathroom gradually? Or am I better off trying to put down 1/8" plywood to make up the difference and match the height?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Carl.

Your project is what Ditra XL was tailor-made for. It's 5/16" thick installed, and should get you to within 1/16" of the hardwood floor height.

What size tile are you installing?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
cduff

Thanks for the info Kevin – I'm installing 2" hex tiles on the floor.

I've been wondering about the Ditra XL... the local home supply store by me sells the Ditra by the square foot which was handy. Haven't been able to track down the XL sold by the foot but maybe I need to take a second look, especially if it will simplify the install.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Kman

I've heard of installers doing a double layer of Ditra for height purposes. Of course, that would probably cost more and would certainly be more work than a single layer of Ditra XL.

But if you can't find Ditra XL, it's an option.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, prior to deciding to market Ditra XL, Schluter tested things by using a double-layer of Ditra...it will work, but nearly double the costs of the material.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
cduff

So I got the Ditra XL, and actually just installed it - but of course I made what I hope doesn't turn out to be a rookie mistake. I read the installation instructions and saw 1/4 x 3/16 V-notch trowel and used that to install the Ditra XL... had I read a little further I would have seen that a 1/4 x 1/4 square notch might be better.

It looked like there was decent coverage on the back of the corner I pulled up and the thinset (Mapei Ultraflex) was just barely falling off the trowel.

Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get decent adhesion? Obviously not much I can do at this point I realize but a tad worried. Anyone out there have success installing XL with the 1/4 x 3/16 V-notch?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
Lou_MA

I’ve used the regular Ditra trowel plenty of times to set ditra XL, and it provided adequate coverage as I checked during installs. At 11/64” square notch, it’s a bit bigger than a 1/4” x 3/16” v-notch, but not by much.

As you’ve used a Schluter recommended trowel size (as I recall, instructions just say that a 1/4” x 1/4” may be needed), and - more importantly - checked that you were getting adequate transfer and coverage (right?), I think you’ll probably be fine.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
cduff

Looks like the Ditra XL is nice and secure the regular trowel + a little extra thinset worked out just fine! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Kman

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase