Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
helloworld

Question the tile work is done, but have questions

We got our bathroom tiled by a contractor just before the xmas. It was a busy holiday week so we didn't watch the contractor work, only to check back to paid the guy. We like the work, but my wife have question a few "spot" which I am in no position to answer.

So I turn to the web! Everyone seem to have different opinion regard to "caulk or not to caulk"
some say to caulk when change plan and material as general rule.
(NOTE: I am unable to link to other johnbridge forum so I'll paste what was say)
Quote:
Generally you dont grout where the tile meets the tub, or even the vertical corners of the shower. These area's should get caulked.

The grout wont adhere to the tub very well, and that area sees a lot of water, so without caulk, the water can work it's way in and over the lip of the tub.

Q 1) should down spout be caulk? ours have little gap. see photo attached.

Q 2) should corner be caulk only? because our contractor did "both" (grout & caulk)

Q 3) instead of using a matching caulk, our contractor uses clear caulk. Is this okay? we like the clear look, not sure why contractor didn't use matching color thu.

happy new years everyone!
Attached Images

helloworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
bbcamp

Hello, Helloworld!

1) It should be caulked, but some folks leave a small gap at the very bottom to allow any leakage to be visible.

2) Caulk only.

3) If he grouted, then caulked over the grout, he probably thought he was doing a good thing by using clear caulk, so the grout color would show through.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi and welcome. Grouting the vertical corners is controversial. Some grout and some caulk. It's not a right or wrong issue, even though the Tile Council of North America says it is.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
helloworld

thax!

thanks for the super fast reply.
forums has soooo much information it's hard to dig it out. I also found some suggest plumbers putty for bigger gap. We are just worry the water will get behind the wall from the spout.

can't seem to insert link so I'll paste the suggest for uses of putty. sounds okay?

Quote:
had the same concerns as you. I took plumbers putty and rolled a nice rope of it and put it in between the foam strip and the outside edge except for a fingers width at the bottom. The foam strip usually is open at the bottom also. with the spout do the same thing, running a nice bead around the whole spout. It works around the sink and tub drains and they hold water!
mondo
helloworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Hello. Please give us a first name to use, preferably in a permanent signature line.

After you make a couple more posts you'll be able to post links. It's an anti-spam measure we have in place. Nothin' personal. Besides, the quotes you've posted are the preferred method of pointing out part of a thread or post, anyway.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
ckl111
Home Builder

Quote:
I also found some suggest plumbers putty for bigger gap. We are just worry the water will get behind the wall from the spout.
Although a little harder to apply, bathroom caulk will work much better for that application. The plumbers putty will dry up and get moldy and dirty in no time.
Unread 01-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Only takes 3 seconds to caulk around a faucet.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
bbcamp

Quote:
Only takes 3 seconds to caulk around a faucet.
...and 10 minutes to wipe off the excess caulk from the wall, the faucet, your hands, your tools, your dog...

bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Quote:
..and 10 minutes to wipe off the excess caulk from the wall, the faucet, your hands, your tools, your dog...

Ain't that right!!!!!!!!!! Man I always think I am going to be so neat with wiping off that caulk and it is every where.
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
helloworld

btw, I did caulk around the faucet (not the bottom). it looks pretty good. but at one location I touch it after it's dry so I can see not smooth caulk.

as for to caulk or grout this post seems to be helpful ( actually all post are helpful

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?p=605551

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase