Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
lisa5

shower grout repair questions

Hi,

My tile installer used grout in the seam where the travertine tiles meet the pre-fab shower base. It is crumbling out and I have to repair, but I have some questions about what to do:

1. Should I use silicone caulk or silicone/latex caulk?

2. What tool(s) should I use to remove the damaged grout?

3. What about the corners of the walls where the tile meets the tile? Those are grouted too, but I see a hairline crack developing. Should I fix this too?

4. He also used grout where the top of the shower bench (a solid stone slab) meets the wall. Even if grout can be used in this application, I need to do some repair, because there is a hairline crack and also because in one section the grout is lower than the top of the bench so the water collects in the groove. Except for the crack, the grout is in good condition, and I think it would be difficult to remove. Is there any way I can put a coat of something on top of it instead?

thanks for any help,

Lisa
lisa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Lisa, welcome. I like using the colored caulk that matches your grout. HD has many colors, Daltile and other tile shops have them as well. You can get them sanded or nonsanded to match your grout. Caulking hasta be maintained so you will need to cut it out periodically and replace it.

HD has a hand held grout saw that can be used to saw out the old grout. Seems like they are 6-7 bucks.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase