Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
nagurdj

Layout the Whole Room or Cut as you go?

I am done with the floor prep and ready to lay tile. I am tempted to layout the whole floor and cut every piece before cementing anything. In other words make all my cuts and lay out the room like a puzzle, pick everything up and then start with the thinset. Is this the way the 'pros' would do it? or do I just start laying tile and cut when needed. The first option allows me to cut many pieces at once, saving my knees going up and down the steps to the garage. It also allows me to take my time on some intricate cuts around some doors. Advice?

Don
nagurdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Depends on the size of the room I guess. I've done small areas that way - especially upstairs work.

Otherwise, cut as I go

Jason
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
tileguy80

Cut as you go. If you cut all at once it is difficult to line things up exactly where they were. Also, with some tile, not all the tiles are exactly the same size and you have to adjust your grout width a little as you go.
tileguy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
jdm

Some people will set all of the full tiles first, and then make all the cuts and set them. Depending on their size, you may have to put the thinset on the back of the cut tiles instead of on the floor.

As for the doorways, if the intricate cuts are around the door casings (mouldings) its easier and neater to cut off the bottom of the casing and slide the tile under.

Go Rutgers!

Last edited by jdm; 01-30-2005 at 06:48 PM.
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
nagurdj

Great advice on the door casings

The room is a bathroom - 5.2 x 9.6, I am using 12 x 12 squares. The pattern requires 4 full squares and two cut tiles along the walls at ~ 7 in. For the length I need to start near the tub with full tile and end at the door with a half tile. Only tough spots are the door casings and the toilet flange.
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
rich7

I'll weigh in on the cut as you go side...than you have the option of making small adjustments, if needed...once you've made all the cuts, you have to live with them..also, normally you would want the full tile at the most obvious focal point..I would think the door in this case and end up at the tub with your cut..no??...

rich
rich7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm in the minority but I pop lines and make all my cuts. Doesn't matter the size floor to me, I'll cut in a thousand sq ft floor, might take several days but after that the tile saw stays in the truck and I set tile without having to get up and down. You have to set some tiles down dry to measure to but that's not a problem. All the cuts sit where they go, never mix them up, when I spread thinset I'll set back the two cuts that go in until they are ready to set.

Done it this way for years, try it sometime.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #8
nagurdj

Thanks - Here is a compromise

I will set as many whole tiles as I can ( maybe 3 rows) and then cut the ends. That way I can cut up to six pieces at one time, saving the knees for another day. Still going to start at the tub with a whole tile. The tub is at the inaccessible end of the room. I can't start at the door and end at the tub unless I plan on sleeping in the tub. If I start at the tub with a cut piece there is no guarantee I will end with a whole piece at the door. Thanks
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
rich7

Yeah, you really can..just snap lines like Davy suggested..or, do your layout dry, space the tiles the way you want them, and mark a line on the floor where the first cut goes...I'm making this sound way harder then it really is...the point is this, you spent alot of time and money to do the job right, why not lay the floor the best way you can??...unless, of course, the partial tile at the door is acceptable to you...then disregard what I said....

rich
rich7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with Rich, start the layout at the door, that doesn't mean you have to start tiling there.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

One thing he could do is start at the door and then work down one side of the bath and then back the other side and out the door.
Unread 02-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #12
Bob Bass

For my first and only tile job to date I laid out all of the tile, put in my spacers then cut my tiles and laid them in place. If anything the space against the wall is possibly 1/16 of a difference different from the space between the middle tiles, but I know my moulding is covering that up. For the bathroom job I did I first did a whole tile along the tub, let it set for 15 minutes, then went straight down the middle of the room, let it set again for 15 minutes, then along the back wall, then finished the rest, laying no more than 8 12" tiles at a time, that way none of the tiles shifted on me. Sure I ended mixing up mud 4 or 5 times but for me it made life easier. BUT I am a newbie at this! The wife was the forman which helped too- carpenters daughter.
Bob Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #13
yz250fpilot

Just my .02

I am not a professional, but I just recently did my 4 bathrooms and my laundry room in my house as well as the bathrooms in my 2 previous homes. For some reason I like to see what the outcome is going to look like before I start laying tiles. I go ahead and cut all tiles and lay them along with spacers DRY. Every once in a while I will pencil some lines across adjoining tiles for placement purposes when I lay them in the thinset. Laying the tiles out dry allows me to change my mind if I don't like what the pattern is producing. If I like it, I number all the cut edge tiles starting at one point on the wall working my way around the room. Then I pick all the tiles up and stack them where they are easily accessible. I start laying along the farthest wall, and with all the cut pieces numbered, it's just like putting a puzzle together knowing what pieces adjoin each other. This might not be the most efficient way, but it works very well for me!

Steve
yz250fpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase