Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
trinity12345

Grout not drying in spots - shower floor

Hello,

Need your advice. Walk-in shower was completely renovated a year ago. A few months after completion, I noticed that grout didn't dry in certain spots on the floor (my teenage son uses and cleans the bathroom himself, so it did take me some time to notice). I first thought he didn't clean the bathroom well and cleaned it myself but it didn't help. Over the time, a few more wet spots appeared. Original contractor suggested to regrout the problem spots. The old grout was very wet in these spots and the bathroom was not used for 3 weeks to help it dry. The new grout never dried in these spots. The contractor thinks that all problems are because the original grout was sealed (Mapei Ultracare penetrating sealer with Mapei grout). I however, think that the problem is with construction. This is how he explained he did it: put membrane on existing tile (from the old shower), then put thinset on top of it, then tile. I checked the problem spots and it looks like there's a dip in those areas which suggests to me that the issue is with the slope, not with the sealer. The water, probably, goes through thinset and sits on the membrane and has nowhere to escape from there. I'm attaching pics. What can be the reasons for this issue and what are possible solutions?
Attached Images

Last edited by trinity12345; 04-21-2021 at 10:32 AM.
trinity12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Ol,

The grout should definitively not still be wet after 3 weeks. My first guess is that the issue is at the drain. The use of a membrane requires that a compatible drain be used. If one wasn't, then the water that gets in through the grout and tile simply has no where to go. And since he/she added tile on top of what was already there, the drain would have had to be raised.

So, more questions to ask of the contractor; specifically what membrane was used, and what drain was used?

Do you have an photos of the building process? You might take a photo of the drain and post it here, sometimes we can identify the drain used by simply looking at it.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
trinity12345

Thank you, Dan. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures from the process :-( Membrane and drain are from Home Depot and I believe the contractor raised the drain, I'm attaching pics (hoping the second one gives a bit of inside view).
Attached Images

Unread 04-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
ss3964spd

I'm not experienced enough to identify that particular Oatey drain, Ol, but it sure does look like the grate isn't coming out without cracking the grout holding it on.
Unread 04-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
ss3964spd

I was curious so I scanned Oatey's site and the only drain grate I could find that resembled yours is this one; https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey...677837?filter=

Or possibly this one: https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey...c=038753423883

But it looks like the drain body of yours is black so I'm leaning towards the first one.

Regardless of which I think both are incorrect for use in combination with a surface applied membrane.
Unread 04-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #6
Mathman

So to clarify. They left the previous shower there and tiled over it?
Unread 04-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #7
trinity12345

Mathman, yes, the shower floor is from the original shower. Wall tile was removed with drywall.
Unread 04-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
trinity12345

Dan, what does it mean? Would replacing the drain solve the problem or it's not that easy to replace it without replacing the whole floor?
Unread 04-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
ss3964spd

It's really difficult to tell, Ol, without knowing exactly how the original shower floor was constructed, and how the new one was constructed and with what products.

That the grout did not dry out after 3 weeks of not using the shower certainly suggests that water is being retained under the floor tile for some reason. Are the wet spots only where the low spots are in your photos above?

Though I'm not sure the drain he used is correct, as I ponder it further I'm inclined to think if the drain was no allowing accumulated water under the tile to escape then the area around the drain would also remain wet.
Unread 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #10
trinity12345

Yes, wet areas are only in surface dips, nothing around the drain.
Unread 04-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #11
trinity12345

Talked to the contractor today - he is ready to do whatever it takes to fix it. He suggested to remove the floor tile and apply redguard underneath it before re-tiling but reading about it now, doesn't sound like a good idea. Any other ideas how to fix it? In worst case scenario - redoing the whole floor - is it possible to do without damaging the wall tiles?
Unread 04-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ol.

As Dan pointed out in post #9, it's difficult for us to make any recommendations without knowing more detail about how your shower receptor was constructed.

It is not damage to your wall tiles that should concern you most, but damage to your shower's waterproofing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #13
pdeluca

This is not a grout or sealer issue as it appears to be an installation issue. Feel free to call MAPEI Product Support if we can help
(800)922-6273

Last edited by pdeluca; 04-23-2021 at 01:22 PM.
pdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase