Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
Goosey

Window In Shower Help

Hey guys,

Been a long time lurker as i'm working on doing my bathroom but ran into something where i'm going to need to reach out for help. I'm currently going back and forth on what to do for the tile for the window i have in my shower. I'm thinking of cutting some "engineered stone" for the internal sides but am going back and forth on how to make the transition from tile to the window. Anyone have any recommendations/pictures to show what they did? The transition from edge of window to the wall of the shower is about 2.5" and my bullnose pieces are 2".
Attached Images

Unread 04-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Chris,

Do you plan to tile the entire wall all around the window? If so, I'd run my tile right up to all 4 edges. Then measure from the window frame to the face of the tile, then subtract 1/16th to 1/8th, and use that final measurement to have your e-stone cut to that width. Install the bottom piece first with a slight pitch towards then drain, then install the top piece, then finally the side pieces.

BTW, how many coats of Red Gard do you have on there? Did you use a film thickness gauge?

Last edited by ss3964spd; 04-20-2021 at 02:52 PM.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
Goosey

I will be tiling up the whole wall to the ceiling. No thickness gauge but i pulled a small piece off and its close to the thickness of a cc. Probably put on close to 3-4 coats. Once the pinholes were gone, i stopped applying.

After more thinking, going to cut a piece of "engineered stone" for the sill and then top plate of the window. Then i'll use a schluter edge to make the corners look nice and then use cut pieces of tile to continue my pattern on the edges/sides of the window.
Unread 04-27-2021, 03:43 PM   #4
Goosey

In case anyone cares, here's what i ended up going with.
Attached Images

Last edited by Goosey; 04-28-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Goosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Nothin wrong with that, Chris.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Goosey

I'm happy with how it turned out. Never used the edging before but like how it looks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase