Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
megatdel

Floor Joist and Underlayment

Name is Thomas from Cleveland, OH. 1st time posting. Thank you to everyone who provides to discussions on JB.

I am completing a small bathroom remodel as a weekend DIY. This is my first bathroom remodel. I 'm an office professional for a commercial GC and the information on this site has been invaluable for me.

The house is a 50's ranch with a crawl under the bathroom. I removed the old 1-1/4" mud mat a couple months ago and kept the 3/4" diagonal slat subfloor that was in pretty good condition. I did need to replace a few sections of diagonal board and tied the replacement 3/4" subfloor into the joist. I then went over the entire area with 1/2" plywood underlayment which you see in the photo. I plan using Ditra over the underlayment.

I've since done other things except tile the floor i.e. rough framing mods, drywall, tiled shower, refinished tub and other things.

I finally got materials cleaned out and notice the lines across the underlayment which run directly over where the joist is. I am wondering if anyone else has run into this, what could cause this, and should I be concerned?

The underlayment has been down for a month and did glue it to subfloor although that may not of been necessary. I created a good amount of foot traffic with the shower tile install.

Thank you for response.
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tom.

Not sure I see in your photo the problem you're describing. Is it a white line that appears to be an extension of the plywood butt joint near the wall in the NW of the photo?

You have any photos of the subfloor before you installed the second plywood layer?

What is the joist spacing?

With what did you glue the second layer to the first?

With what and at what schedule did you mechanically fasten the second subfloor layer?

Just gathering information here. Don't yet have any idea what your problem might be if, in fact, you have a problem.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
megatdel

cx, Thank you for the reply. I tried to blow up the image at little. The white line is not in the corner but in the middle of the room in the middle of the plywood sheet. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of the subfloor before I laid the plywood.

Joist spacing is 16" OC. I believe they are 2x12x14 running parallel to the tub.

I believe it was Gorilla construction adhesive. Fasteners were at 8" OC. I can check on product later today.

Have you seen this before from anyone in the forum? Just wondering.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 02-26-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
megatdel

In rereading your post, yes it's on the same line as the butt joint. Sorry about that.

In retrospect the butt joint is over the joist which I understand is not recommended. I could move it, however this is where the vanity will set.
That's a separate discussion.
Unread 02-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tom, that line looks too straight to my eye to be anything other than a mechanical mark of some kind that is now highlighted with drywall dust or something similar. Are you really sure it wasn't there when you installed that sheet of subflooring?

I also don't see a lot of fastener heads on that line where I think some should be.

This construction adhesive was applied with a caulking gun?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase