Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2021, 03:02 PM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

So, there is no new secret bathtub size code of which I was not aware. This is a good thing.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
KarenA01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Don't know if it would work in your space, Karen, but a wall hung toilet would save 6 or 7 inches in front of the toilet.
I know...And since there is closet on the other side of the toilet wall, it should be possible... but we decided not to go that way for a few reasons.

Among them were style (We are doing a traditional look with all the fixtures as the house is not modern), overall cost, ease of repair, and the reviews on the ones I looked at said they did not flush very well...

Anyway let's not highjack this thread with my particulars any more.

-Karen
Unread 03-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
JJG1170

please !! hi jack this thread. I really enjoy the information, any and all information is welcomed. I can learn from it all. Yes i was debating on the Kohler cast iron villager too but it’s sooo shallow, the depth for bathing is minimal. Torn on what bathtub to get !!!
And thanks for the heads up on the ALL SET price,
Jim
Unread 04-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
JJG1170

drywall backer board joint

suggestions on how to tape the ceiling joints in my shower. I will be using kerdi board on the walls and drywall on the ceiling tiling all the way to the ceiling but leaving the drywall as is on the ceiling with just a smooth texture and painting it with a semigloss paint. I know it will not receive direct moisture but do i need to use alkali tape or kerdi band?I was planning on using thinset on the kerdi board then drywall mud on the ceiling portion to the best of my ability.. thoughts ?
Unread 04-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Jim,

Given the location you have a couple of options;

1) Tape (regular mesh) and compound those joints as you would any other drywall joint, then prime/seal the compound with a good quality sealer. Doing so will prevent the moisture from the mortar from softening the drywall compound.

2) Tape (regular mesh), then compound those joints using "hot mud". It is drywall compound that comes in a bag that you then mix with water. Much stronger than premixed drywall compound and won't be effected by the moisture in the mortar. The stuff is a little more difficult to work with, and of course has to be mixed, a bit more difficult to sand. You only need 1 coat on the wall, but will need the usual 2 or 3 on the ceiling to feather it out. You could use premixed compound for the final coat on the ceiling for a smoother finish.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #21
sammyiammy

Jim,
Did you decide on a tub?

Jim/All,
Regarding cast iron versus steel tub quality/durability: I have two American Standard tubs that are original to my 1993-built home and both are still in very good to excellent condition and I’m pretty sure they’re steel (Americast).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unread 04-19-2021, 02:43 PM   #22
JJG1170

Thank you Dan!

And re: tub , I’m thinking the American Standard Cambridge, hard to find though !
Unread 04-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #23
JJG1170

I also saw a brand of acrylic tubs called Duravit .. Anyone familiar with this brand.. I keep going back and forth on tubs, very torn. Definitely want something that you can soak in, 9 “ depth is way shallow .
Unread 04-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #24
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Duravit has been around quite a while, Jim, but I don't know anything of their quality.

Your previously mentioned "tight budget"; tight budget and deep soaking tub might be mutually exclusive, and remember that a deeper tub also means a higher step over.

Aside from Duravit, Kohler makes a line of acrylic tubs, as does American Standard and I'm sure others. I'm fixin to get ready to install a Kohler acrylic that is pretty deep, but it doesn't have an apron - the front gets tiled. Another member, Phil, installed a similar unit with outstanding results, see his thread here: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...=130027&page=2
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2021, 11:33 PM   #25
JJG1170

Thanks Dan for thread . Also , I’ve realized the tight budget will loosen up now (lol) , I don’t want to settle and I want to be happy with the final product . I
Also do not mind the larger step over for more soaking depth !

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase