Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
Momofboys

Question regarding re-tile of kitchen floor

We recently embarked on some home remodeling. All was going well until our kitchen floor was re-tiled. (This is the only thing we had done in the kitchen). We had slate tiles in our kitchen and changed them to 24x48 large format tiles. The contractors completely removed the old slate tile and 1 1/2 to 2” of float - taking the floor all the way back to the slab. Then they floated the floor again and laid a thin porcelain 24x48 tile. One they were finished, they figured out none of my appliances would fit. They are telling me this is because my floor wasn’t level before and once they leveled it the cabinets aren’t tall enough. (I have 2 dishwashers, and ice maker and a refrigerator that won’t fit now. They all fit and had tile under them before except for the ice maker which was not on tile.). They proposed tiling up to my appliances and I said that was not an option because I won’t be able to remove my appliances for repairs if they do that. Raising the countertop where the dishwashers are is not an option because of the backsplash so they proposed placing a tile in front of the dishwashers that is grouted in but not set with thin set so if we need repairs we can remove the tile and then remove the appliance. I think the is crazy because I would have to replace the tile and grout very time. They mentioned new appliances but I really like my appliances and don’t like that option. Are there any other options? Was this an error on their part? I feel like I’m worse off than before the tile job because of this and I’m wondering if we need to start over from the beginning or possibly find a new contractor.
Unread 04-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jimmie.

If your floor was tiled before and your appliances fit over the installed tile, the problem is pretty clearly with the new tile installation.

If that problem is the result of their having made the floor too high with their deck mud, the solution is for them to remove the deck mud and mud it again to the correct height to duplicate the previous installation. If that means making the floor other than level, if that is how it was before, that's what should have been done. There is no requirement for the tile substrate to be level, only that it be dead flat for tiles that size.

The problem with floor covering changes affecting the installation and removal of kitchen appliances has been known to the tile industry at least since the invention of dishwashers. There is no question why your contractor does not want to properly correct his mistake, but that doesn't relieve him of the obligation to make it right.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
Momofboys

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase