Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-20-2021, 05:39 AM   #1
seodfac

Using Schluter Kerdi Shower Tray as Preslope

I need to put in the pan liner for a new shower this weekend before the tiler comes next week. He will do the final mortar on top of the liner, but its all me before that. I thought about using the oatey perfect slope under the pan liner to avoid tackling the preslope drypack hassle (first time), but it is not available. Cost aside, could you use a Schluter Kerdi shower tray as the preslope under the pan liner? The rest of the shower is board and redgard.
Unread 04-20-2021, 05:47 AM   #2
Kman

I would not, Adam. The tray gets a lot of it's strength from being covered with membrane and tile, so that point loads are spread out over a larger area. That's not something you'd get with a PVC liner.

Don't be afraid of a little mud. Even if you mess it up, you'll have almost no money in it, and maybe 45 minutes of your time. It's cheap and easy to do it over. If you need some advice with the basics, we're here to help.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not to mention that you would not get the required 1/4" per foot slope using that foam tray as your pre-slope.

Deck mud is easy and cheap and the learning curve not steep. And if your first try isn't satisfactory, it's even easier and cheaper to remove it and try again. The second try will be satisfactory.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase