Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #16
Luxman

So over the weekend I messaged my GC and told him I want do discuss a few things about the shower area. He and I had already spoken in Friday about not burring the Hardie Board in the deck mud.

The conversation today involved the use of AquaBar and RedGard together. I had also check the walls for plum and discovered what I felt to be excessive surface variation. Communication with him can sometimes be challenging but he’s generally receptive to questions and or criticism and never seems defensive. I explained best I could about creating a waterproof envelope that gives moisture to way do dry. Then we moved onto the wall finish which he agreed could be problematic.

Within a few hours the RedGard treated Hardie Board was pulled down along with the Aquabar paper. The plan now is to float the walls as he said he can control the finished product better.

I want to make sure I understand the process for floating walls so I might spot issues as they may occur.

They have brought over some Gold Bond Purple XP wallboard, that will be covered with paper (I’m guessing something like Aquabar buy I don’t see it onsite). Over this lathe will be secured and the mud/float applied along with the shower floor and curb. I’m assuming seams and corners of the XP board will taped and mudded, I will check things as they go.

So if I’ve missed something or what I’ve described above is completely wrong please let me know. And as always thanks for the input!
Unread 04-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #17
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don, there are too many variables there for me to commit to saying it'll all be fine. For a one-coat mortar application there is certainly no advantage to the use of purple or any color gypsum board other than white. I'm just assuming, of course, that that's what your guy means by "floating" the walls. You'll also wanna check with your code compliance office to be sure they'll allow the one-coat mortar over drywall at all. I'm told some jurisdictions consider that using drywall in a shower and won't permit it.

No reason to tape and bed your drywall seams in that application, but it doesn't hurt anything.

You'll need to be sure y'all have a plan for the treatment of the edges of your tile installation as the tiles will be well proud of the walls outside the shower using that system.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #18
Luxman

Hello CX,

I understand, there will be a city inspection prior to the walls/pan/and curb being floated. I’ve been present for all others I’ll be present for this one. I’ll be sure to ask or clearly communicate the intent to the city inspector. They have actually been pretty helpful. As for the tiles ends we have trim more or less covered. The GC and I will meet at a local tile shop to looks at trims and finishes.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase