Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #91
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Davy....If you are using the recommended amount of water AND have a waterproof cleavage membrane in place...and Paul likes to use Greenskin going up the walls, I see little issue with this method. Of course, that is second level. On a slab, this is a non-issue.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #92
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Go for it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #93
Just In Tile LLC

Did this method today for my preslope, working on a cabin with water about 350 yards away so I opted to conserve. Hit it with mag float after 10 min from the last water application. VERY CHOICE!
Unread 05-21-2020, 12:22 AM   #94
CaliGrown

Justin, regarding the mud: How’d it come out In comparison to a standard float? Actually save time and Effort? Slope maintained? Similar Porosity? what’d you use, prebagged or site mix?
I understand that a preslope is preslope (“just gotta be something that has somewhat of a slope not against gravity to a drain flange“). However, I wouldn’t be hesitant to try this method out, if it’s got the turnkey approval from a mud meister.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #95
Just In Tile LLC

"turnkey approval from a mud meister."
Chris I'll take that as a huge compliment, I consider Davy and John to be mud meisters and I'm still trying to get on they're level.

Without screeds, like I did it, I'd say it took a little longer. Although I did ride the bottom plate for an even cut and then lower it from there it took longer. I added water to what the bags said plus a little more so that when I mag floated it, the mud actually had that little too wet deck mud look to it.

Overall if I had set side screeds it would have been pretty quick, but you do have to add water slowly so it doesn't mess up the top with a pump sprayer. All in all if I had plenty of water privileges I'd of mixed it with my mud auger. For me I'd use it only for a preslope would not try it for a tileable bed. But was nice to employ it for my specific situation and know about it working for others.
Unread 05-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #96
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
A former moderator and one-time friend, Bud Cline, came up with my Mudmeister title. I thought at the time and still do that it meant that I was in charge of the Mud Box forum. If it has to do with mud work, I'm now a former mudmeister, and there are others here who have eclipsed anything I ever did.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2020, 06:23 AM   #97
CaliGrown

Thanks Justin, I appreciate your feedback on the ordeal. I’m thinking I’ll try this out for fun with the next few preslopes. Who knows maybe I like it and we starts to do some deck mud floors at 5/8” min. With wire using this method and embed us some stratamat over it. Could be Cheaper than SLU & maybe a tighter assembly with the uncoupling mat keeping the mud and tile in tact...Pipe Dreams or Early Morning Delirium.
Outside of repetition all of my mud work capabilities have come through the archived mud threads and generous expert individuals on this forum who share their knowledge willingly. It’s invaluable in every which way. The material is the material, but the concepts and applications are what separates the playing field when looking at tile possibilities with v.s. without fat or deck mud work.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #98
Just In Tile LLC

A little time saver/one less tool to clean on float days for walls Chris is use your hawk to check the squareness of your sticks the same way you'd use a speed square. (assuming your hawk is square, most are)
Unread 05-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #99
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Got another Kerdi mudpack to do tomorrow. with screeds, I'll use this...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase