Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
MacQ

Grout Bag with SpectraLock epoxy - good idea?

Hello all, I am a homeowner asking this question on behalf of my tile installers. They are good craftsman and have done a nice job on my 4600' house. They had used other brands of epoxy before but per my specs they used Spectralock Pro in my bathroom floors and they loved it. I love it too - it looks great and they cleaned it up nice.

They will now be using it on my outdoor patio. About 1000' of 18x18 tiles. They are wondering whether using a grout bag to spread the epoxy just on the grout lines would be a good idea. The bathroom floors were 2x2 and 3x3 tiles so there wasn't much choice.

Anybody try this? Does it work? Is there some other technique that works well to avoid getting too much epoxy spread around so can minimize cleanup.

My tile guys would appreciate knowing. Thanks
MacQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
michaelhazuka
Union Tile Setter--Green Bay, WI

I personally think it would be a mess.....with 18 x 18 tiles you easily should be able to just float the joints of the tile without spreading the epoxy over the entire tile surface. I also think with the grout bag you would have an issue with keeping the joint full enough so that the epoxy doesn't sag(I know SpectraLock Pro has an anti-sag additive, but it still sags to some degree in the joints).

I would advise using a Barwaldt epoxy float and just spread the joints without spreading the full tile surface........no grout bag on this one.
Unread 10-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
MacQ

OK. Thanks - I'll pass it along.

For my curiosity, I tried to lookup a Barwaldt float and couldn't find anything. Is there something peculiar to this float or will any old epoxy float work as well? Would any reasonably experienced tile person know what that is? Thanks again
MacQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
michaelhazuka
Union Tile Setter--Green Bay, WI

Yes, it's a hard-edged epoxy float.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase