Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Dbhm

Tiling over shower floor tile

Hi. Looking for advice as to whether tiling over an existing shower floor tile is ok to do. Have had 3 estimates to redo master shower stall 2 installers want to retile over the existing tile and 1 says pull it out and start new.

I believe the existing tile is porcelain 4x4. The new tile will be 2x2 travertine. Is this okay to do?
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Artie.....Certainly it can be done...but should it be done?

Central to the issue is the condition of the existing floor. Aside that, you will need to set up an extender for the drain. Do you have a plan and technique for that?

Why are they wanting a new floor?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Artie. I'm kinda surprised 2 out of 3 would tile over the old tile. Those two will give you the tail light warranty. But, that shows where the tile trade has gone to. Like Laz said, it could probably be done but it would be risky in my opinion. If your shower pan is 2 months away from leaking, it's going to leak in 2 months even with my new tiles installed. Then, who are you going to call? Me. In over 40 years, I've never installed new tile over an old shower floor. I'd walk away before doing it. Depends on how lucky you feel.

I'd want to tear it all out and install a new pan. Then, you're good to go.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase