Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #31
eurob
Not...Sure

Don't know any premixed cement products which do not harden when in contact with water or humidity......... Not a reason to not mix it properly, according with the designed intent.

Knowledge -- something you cannot undo once you learn about it --
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Dave,

The comments have been enabled.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #33
Just In Tile LLC

Biggest thing I didn't like about it was the dust when dumping the bags out. Outside is one thing, inside someone's bathroom is another. Other than that I thought it was awesome. Won't do it, but way to think outside the box.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #34
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Not like dumping it into a bucket. Just slit the side of the bag and it flows onto the slab. Very little dust.......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #35
Kman

Don't you mean, "Flows out onto the freshly spread thinset mortar"?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #36
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Hopefully Laticrete will chime in with their blessing on this method... or their non approval of it.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #37
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Kevin....Yep.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #38
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

The one recurring complaint on the method is incomplete water saturation. Granted, that is a risk, but there are risks with the standard wet set method as well, which includes the same improper wetting hazard, improper packing, the wrong sand, the wrong sand:cement ratio, overworking the drypack, taking too long and having the drypack dry out, working along with a box fan and drying out the top......

As long as one follows the old, approved method properly there are no problems. The same holds true for the Houston method.

The manufacturers have zero interest in testing this method as they will sell exactly NO more drypack after spending $250,000 or more on testing because the exact same amount of drypack is used. (less if you account for the lack of waste with the Houston Method) Then they'd have to push it through the NTCA system to get it in the manual. All for no change in profit or sales. I'm not holding my breath waiting nor am I planning on funding the testing.

Everyone has tips and tricks that work for them. We are equally guilty of using some 'unapproved product' for an application in our careers. Using versabond over kerdi for example. I think we'd all agree we wouldn't do anything that would risk an installation. This method was shared to give installers another option, whether they elect to use it or not.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #39
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Paul, I'm not knocking your system, just asking questions. You show the residue of a lot of water pooling at the drain and eventually soaking in. Where did that water go? Over a slab, I can see that water soaking into the concrete but on a wood sub floor upstairs, what keeps that water from running around the drain and onto the ceiling below?

Would you recommend this system for the top mud bed of a pan liner shower?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #40
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Over cement slabs we install the same as wet drypack (as shown in the last video)

Over plywood we install the same as TCNA guidelines with a cleavage membrane. There is little water getting past the cleavage membrane to worry about. We install the wall foam boards first which go a long way to contain any water. Greenskin wrapped up the sides of the foam panels takes care of any worries when working in high rises, but caulking the bottom of the foam panels to the cleavage membrane will also act as a dam. Being OCD geeks we cut very nice holes through the plywood for our drains leaving little room for dry drypack or water to escape. When in doubt we foam large gaps, esp in high rises.

I haven't done a vinyl liner in decades... I guess you could as any excess water would run down the weep holes, but screeding would be a bit daunting. Keeping the dry drypack out of the drain would be troublesome. This wouldn't be my first choice for a traditional liner. With a kerdi or laticrete drain its very easy.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #41
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, that was my concern with a pan liner install, keeping cement water and dry pack out of the weepholes and drain.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #42
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Paul....Just saw the BIG shower you did using this method. Looks awesome and you might post your link on Facebook to it......

Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #43
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Got two "big assed" showers here in SE Texas I'll be doing, using this method. Done'em before, so I ain't scared. As a matter of fact, I'm introducing a great tile setter friend of mine to this technique...as well as a first-time Kerdi build...

Old 09-26-2018, 06:48 AM   #44
makethatkerdistick

Interesting method for sure. My fear would be that some of that Portland would get washed out of the top layer and into the lower areas of the mud bed. But I suppose if you report that the bed still cures hard on top, then that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 PM   #45
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Well I decided to try this new shower pan method and it worked pretty damn good. I was really impressed at how hard it was just 20 minutes after applying the water. Very solid!I shared it with one of my friends and he is going to give it a go. Thanks for making the video and sharing new methods.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase