Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #286
Willy

That looks amazing!

I have showerhead envy. I wish mine cost $25. I was dead set on everything being the same manufacturer.
Unread 07-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #287
makethatkerdistick

Looks great!
I contemplated rain shower heads at one point but decided they weren't for me after I saw that $700 Kohler rain shower head on Amazon. Well, that and the wife didn't want one.

Let us know how the first shower goes. It's a special moment. Kinda like your first unassisted pull up.
Unread 07-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #288
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Wolf, you should have put in a rain head. You could have told the wife good for resale value. But also the diverter valve can keep the rain head off forever. She didn't have have to use it. Maybe I should have put them both on volume control so they could both be on? There were just so many ways to plumb a shower. The side jets are on a separate volume control within easy reach sitting on the steam bench. This whole time I keep wondering why I'm spending so much time and money building a shower? I do not expect it to be a magical experience. Maybe I will like steam?
Unread 07-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #289
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Talking

That's alotta door stops.

That's pretty wow, Ali, nicely done. I do like those beefy, somewhat industrial looking roller systems, very cool. And the oil rubbed bronze hardware works great with the floor color.

And oh, nice job tiling, too.

I bet Mrs. Ali is thrilled!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2019, 06:00 AM   #290
Elkski

That gap between the door and the fixed wall does seem kind of wide I wonder if much water will Splash through there
Unread 07-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #291
makethatkerdistick

Teddy, I am also a water-saving person. The rain showerhead seemed counter-intuitive to my efforts. I don't care about resale value, wanting to keep this house. Yes, I could have installed one, I suppose. Next time, I forgo the "water-resistant" Kerdi system, get an actual water-proof system and buy myself a rain shower head from the money saved.

Meantime, I vicariously enjoy Ali's budget rain showerhead through this thread.
Unread 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #292
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thank you Scott - I ordered this rain can randomly while browsing Amazon because it was so cheap (Mrs. Ali and I had a $200+ Delta rain can picked out beforehand) and I figured if it didn't work out well I'd just return it no hassle. After I installed the shower trim, tuned, and tested the diverter, I was impressed with the pressure and aesthetic of the China-can and decided to keep it. It still bugs me knowing that not everything in the shower is Delta, but I'll get over it

Thank you Wolfgang - I saw some that were ridiculously priced too. I didn't know a piece of cast or milled aluminum with some holes in it and made with non-unionized labor could cost so damn much haha. If Mrs. Wolfgang said no, I can see why you'd pass up on it. The rain can was one of the things that I was going to put in whether or not Mrs. Ali wanted it since I am 6'1" and hate having to stand right next to the shower head wall to rinse shampoo.

Teddy I remember asking myself that plenty of times over the past 7 months but in the end you'll enjoy the product of countless hours of thought and labor. There is no other feeling better than the challenge of producing something complex that required honing your skills and learning something new. As for water leaking between the panes, I don't think much water will get out because the door and fixed pane are offset by a small margin and the curb has a decent slope to it. Mrs. Ali will have to furnish the bathroom with a floor mat anyway so that should take care of a few drops of water here and there.

Thank you Dan - it's all matte black and nearly the same color as oil rubbed bronze but twice the price I am a huge fan of the tracks and mounting hardware as well, it's all made by a company called C.R.L and I happened to pick out one of the very few installers in SE Michigan that uses this system. C.R.L is also one of the few companies out there that produces matte black tracks and mounting hardware in a sliding assembly. I still kick myself every now and then looking at the few mistakes I made when tiling the shower but I was assured by the glass installers yesterday that mine looks better than some of the 'pro' jobs they've seen in high end homes - so I guess I'll have to get over it

I'll see if I can get a video of the China-can in action tomorrow after I open the slider for the first time (if I can embed a video on the forum).

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #293
ss3964spd

Matte black - even better.

I have shower head envy. Actually, I have finished shower envy. LOL
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #294
Elkski

Are rain shower heads so expensive? I am using 90% salvaged plumbing in my shower including the Moen rain heads. they are not very big. they don't have electronics in them or any moving parts.. but they do have the rubber jets where you can easily knock off calcium buildup. I cant imagine they cost more than 25$? That is such a nice looking shower.. I think black or dark grout in all those perfect grout joints would look good.
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #295
Radas
Tile Newbie

Matte black is the way to go IMO, I don't see it looking dated anytime soon. Appreciate it Dan but I will say I am envious of the larger shower, wall mounted toilet, and floor heating - I wish the bathroom was not all new to begin with so it could have been completely gutted. Maybe in 10 years...

Shower heads shouldn't be expensive, but they are if they're sold by the 'American' manufacturers that rebrand parts made overseas. I've included my showerhead below... Looks like it went up a few dollars since January but a deal nonetheless. Might pickup another one in case this one craps out. It also has the silicone nozzles for easy cleanup.

I'm thinking about tearing out the guest bath now against Mrs. Ali's advice... Better now than after baby Ali arrives.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Unread 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #296
speed51133

Ali, what bathroom faucet do you have/want in this setup? Matte black as well?
Unread 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #297
Radas
Tile Newbie

Mike, we had it narrowed down to these two Delta faucets from the same line as the shower trim. Holding off on these since I just shelled out the equivalent of the all-in shower cost on the glass enclosure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Unread 07-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #298
Gozo

Ali, I have the bottom faucet in your picture, but in brushed stainless. Pleased with it but one thing to be aware of (that I wasn’t at the time)...
It doesn’t use an aerator. It has a “director” in the output end that makes a nice soft laminar water flow coming out. No air mixed in at all. My other sinks in the house have the usual aerator that mixes air with the water to make it seem like a more forceful stream. The non-aerated faucet does splash less so that may be a factor if your sink is on the small or shallow side.
Not better or worse, just different. May make a difference in your decision. Can’t say anything about the top one in your picture.
Unread 07-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #299
Kman

Ali, I installed a shower door identical to yours, with one exception. It didn't have the glass at the end that sits 90 degrees to the door.

It did have the same rail and wheels for the sliding door, same tracks on the bottom, etc. I think the customer paid about $900 for it at HD.

I did drill holes in the walls for the top rail, but refused to drill the curb for fear of a leak. I siliconed everything in place very well, even the little door guide. A couple days later they were all solid, and if anything has turned loose, I haven't been told about it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #300
ss3964spd

I think some of the costs of the supposedly higher end fixtures is from the presumably superior quality of the finish. Maybe important for something that is handled often, less so for something that ain't. I'm using a simple Grohe fixed head, and a matching Grohe hand held on a slider. I can say that the Grohe supply pipe for the fixed head is an impressively finished piece, I've never seen chrome that deep. They even packaged it in a small fabric pouch within the box.

Ali, Jeff, I'm diggin that bottom faucet. I was pushing for a more modern look, even if chrome, but, well, compromises happen.

My hall bath starts happening right after I finish the master, Ali. Will also be a complete gut but far, far less complex and costly. Might be a good call to start yours before Ali Jr. comes along - try to get all the loud demo noise out of the way.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase