Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
powergal

tile over concrete cracks

About to tile on concrete L shaped space(total area 760sf). Entry/hall to living room 37' and living/dining/kitchen area that is 26x20' connecting to hall with utility and bath, all will be connected in large profile (18x18") tile. In appx middle of living room there are cross shaped intersecting cracks (concrete is circa 1980 in Okla. and cracked during 5.6 magnitude 5 minute earth quake in 2011. Crack #1 runs 22' and crosses in middle of living room with crack #2 that is 17'. Crack #3 originates at the outside and runs parallel 6' from crack #1, but does not intersect. The cracks are level, but not quite closed (nothing over 1cm). Should I use Anti-fracture on the entire job or is there a more cost effective way to deal with future tile cracking issues? Help, the job is due to start Jan 2 and anti fracture on the entire job will add $1200 to the cost. Any input appreciated.

Last edited by powergal; 12-27-2013 at 03:41 PM.
powergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Judy,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you make a scale drawing of the area with the cracks? Or take a picture and highlight the cracks?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would cover the whole floor, myself. I would look into Fracture Free, here is a link. http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-232.pdf

They claim 245 sq ft per bucket and the last I paid was about 100 bucks a bucket. Not sure what the price is now but shouldn't cost 1200 dollars for 760 sq ft.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Judy.

It'll help if you'll add that geographic location to your User Profile to help in answering some types of questions. Having it in only one post ensures it will be lost at least by the time we leave this page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy
The cracks are level, but not quite closed (nothing over 1cm).
Not sure about Oklahoma, but even in Texas a crack that wide would be considered huge. I'll wait for the photos. And when you say they are level, that needs to be an absolute. You want to be sure there is not even the tiniest bit of height difference from one side of the crack to the other. I'm not an earthquake guy, but if you know for sure the cracks occurred during such an event, I'd be really surprised if there is not some height differential after a couple years.

If there is no such differential, and if that one-centimeter measurement is an error, there are a couple ways to look at crack isolation membranes. You could say, "Goodness, that's a lot of money for something I can't see and doesn't even come with a guarantee," or you could say, "Well, considering what I'm spending on this tile installation, that might be good insurance if it protects my tile."

But I'll wait for the photos and drawings and see if it's gonna be reasonable for you to use sufficient soft joints in your tile installation to properly honor those cracks.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase