Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
nicolemnovak

Tile on greenboard for tub/shower surround?

Over the weekend my fella and hired help hung greenboard in our recently gutted bathroom. My job is to do the tiling. The greenboard is also installed in the tub/shower surround, instead of the typical 1/2" cement board. What to do?

Can I get away with simply doing a good caulking/grout job? Or should I pay to tear out this new stuff and put in cement board? I don't want to replace everything again in ten years, but then again I'm not expecting it to last for a hundred either.
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Nicole,
Greenboard is not approved for use as a tile backing in a shower or shower/tub surround.

Tile and grout are not waterproof so whatever you install them over need s to take csare of that. One option would be to use a sheet membrane like Kerdi. Another would be to remove the greenboard and put up a vapor barrier (6 mil plastic works well) then install cement backer board.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
PetrH

nicole: you'll be lucky to get two years out of a tile over greenboard shower and you'll be left with a huge black mold mess in the bargain.

You can buy two gallons of Redgard waterproofing membrane and paint it on the greenboard. That's two nice thick coats. Also highly recommend using fibergrlass mesh tape on seams and inside corners. There should be no drywall mud under the redgard either.
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
jwmezzanotte

Im not sure if one is "supposed" to use redguard on drywall. Pretty sure it needs to be cement board.
That said, i did use it in my own shower over green board (before I knew not to) and its fine. I have seen inside the wall cavity (working on another room) and its fine. No leaks.
Might be ok on a tub surround, but id probably just put kerdi over the drywall.
jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
HomeTeam
One horsepower

Another vote for Kerdi over the existing drywall.....and that's not just a band-aid fix, that is the way Schluter says to do it and it is code approved if done correctly. (But hopefully there is NO plastic sheeting already up behind the greenboard that would create the 'moisture sandwich'.)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase