Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #16
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I totally agree with Kevin about the mortar. If it was me and some how I got talked into tiling over tile the only mortar I would use in the Custom Building Products line would be MegaLite.

For the perimeter, I would just grout the whole pan in. That advice goes against industry standards and isn't the correct thing to say but caulking the perimeter and having it look good would not be an easy thing to tackle.

My advice; worth less than CX's.
Unread 09-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you use a profile, you grout directly up to it. If there’s a color close to either the wall tile or that you use on the floor, it should work. Grout might work, but if it cracks later, it might be a major pain to fix.

These guys have lots more practical experience than I, so take that into consideration.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Like Jim, I'd grout solid to the wall. It's not going by the book but if it ever cracks then scrape it out right against the wall and touch it up.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #19
sfbayjay

Thanks for all of the input guys - much appreciated.

Made a stop at tile shop yesterday to pick up all supplies. Made some changes based on comments here and product availability at the store. Now going with:

1. Mapei Ultraflex LFT thinset - hopefully a better choice than the Versabond
2. Miracle Sealants 511 Impregnator Sealer
3. Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA grout
4. Mapei Mapesil T color-matched silicone caulk (see below)

I have some scrap pieces of vinyl plank flooring that happen to measure about 0.17" thick. Seems like it could make for a perfect perimeter spacer while setting the pebbles and would also give me something to grout up against.

But, now I'm seeing some conflicting advice from the group here about whether to just grout all the way into the wall/floor joint or come back with silicone caulk after the fact. I think grouting into a "channel" left by using a perimeter spacer could work, but I do have some concern about having it look bad. I don't know which way to go at this point.

Also, I picked up a grinding pad for my oscillating tool - one of THESE.
Name:  xDremel_MultiMax_Diamond_Paper_MM910_Diamond_Sandpaper_,28EN,29,284,29.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zqKYbR7Y.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  38.4 KB
Thought this might do a better job of roughing up the existing floor tiles before laying pebbles.

Thanks for keeping up with all of this and for sharing your thoughts and ideas.
Unread 09-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #20
sfbayjay

Drain Details. Took a harder look at the existing drain and the drain extender I bought. A few concerns - here are some pics:

1. ORIGINAL DRAIN
Name:  IMG_20190908_104924125_HDR.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  20.5 KB
Original drain has a pair of notches that would any water seeping between the metal cover and plastic drain frame get to the drain.
Name:  IMG_20190908_105236246.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  22.3 KB

2. WITH DRAIN EXTENDER
Notches in original frame are "blocked" - inside the drain extender. Should I be worried about this impeding drainage either from the drain perimeter or of water that makes it through the pebbles/grout? I'm probably overthinking this.
Name:  IMG_20190908_105329991.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  23.8 KB

This last pic shows that the finished pebble surface would be well above the final drain rim height. The difference is about 0.2 inches. Maybe more considering there will be some thinset between the existing tiles and the new pebbles. Maybe this is a problem? I could add a second extension ring...
Name:  IMG_20190908_105611430.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  18.5 KB
Unread 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The extender I see online shows spacers that will let it adjust up to 1/2 inch. Did yours come with those? Tiling over tile, especially on a shower floor is something most here have never done so we don't have any experience with what you're dealing with. I see no harm in cutting a few small slots for water to escape.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #22
tjpot
terry

Ive done numerous tile over tile jobs with good success. You are doing everything quite well. Put a couple of matching notches in your extender to match the original drain. When grouting,put the blade of a 4inch putty knife between the stones and the vertical surface. Grout up to the blade and when done,slide the blade to the next position and repeat. This will leave about an 1/8inch gap around the perimeter for caulking. Your Mapei products are similar to what I would use.
Unread 09-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
sfbayjay

Thanks for all of the advise and tips, everyone. I've made some good progress and so far so good! A few new questions at the end of this post as I'm moving toward finishing this project.

To recap recent work done:
  • Roughed up the existing tiles a bit more with the diamond grit pad I linked in a prior post. It actually worked pretty well, to my surprise.
  • Raised the drain a little bit more by cutting some custom shims from a thin sheet of PVC I had laying around from a past project and pairing those with the drain extension kit. Left a pair of "notches" in the new drain extender shims to match those in the original drain.
  • Used some strips of leftover vinyl plank flooring, about 0.17" around the perimeter of the shower pan to set and keep a clean gap between the new pebbles and the existing wall tiles.
  • I set the pebbles Friday afternoon without too much trouble using the Mapei Ultraflex LFT. I did have some issues where too much thinset squeezed up between the pebbles in one small area, but that was the worst of it. Dug most of that out while things were wet and then managed to scrouge out the rest using a diamond tipped bit on my Dremel on Sunday morning - about 15 mins of work, so not bad.
  • Sunday afternoon, 48 hours after setting them, I sealed the pebbles using 511 Impregnator Sealer.
  • Today (Monday), 24 hours after sealing, I grouted using Mapei Ultracolor Plus FA. I grouted right up against the perimeter vinyl flooring strips. After I finished grouting and cleaning up I pulled the strips and got a pretty good clean channel around the edge - should be set for caulking.

I'm planning to use Mapei Mapesil T 100% silicone caulk. Now the questions:

1. I'm planning to apply another coat of the 511 impregnator sealer to the pebbles and grout. How long should I wait now that I've grouted to apply the sealer again?

2. Should I caulk the perimeter channel with silicone before or after applying another round of 511?

3. I saw this YouTube Video from Sal DiBlasi where he sprayed tiles along joints to be caulked with silicone with denatured alcohol, which appears to make things less messy. Would I have issues using this method along the edges of the pebble floor or should denatured alcohol be avoided with natural pebbles? Maybe it's OK since the pebbles have already been sealed once with 511?

Last edited by sfbayjay; 09-16-2019 at 05:44 PM.
sfbayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #24
sfbayjay

Progress Pics and Grout Questions

A few status pics of the pebble tile floor attached.

I applied another coat of 511 Impregnator Sealer after I had let the grout cure for 48 hours. Waiting 48 hours after grouting with Ultracolor Plus FA was the advice I got from a Mapei tech representative.

Now I'm waiting for the 511 to dry/set before caulking the outside perimeter.

Name:  IMG_20190918_161606645_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.6 KB
Name:  IMG_20190918_161621692_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  47.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20190918_161615147_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  63.0 KB

Today I was cleaning out the "channel" I left open for caulking along the edges (third pic attached above). I found a couple of spots (not shown in pic) where I definitely either missed applying enough grout or I accidentally dug out too much with the wash sponge. The two areas are about 1.5" square. One in the very back corner and one in the front left corner. Definitely enough where water will collect and sit in these two spots where the grout is not up close enough to the face of the pebbles.

Since I only caught this now AFTER I've applied 511 sealer to the pebbles and grout, what options do I have? Can I mix up a bit more grout and apply it in the areas where I messed up? Would I have to try to dig out the grout that is in those spots?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Last edited by sfbayjay; 09-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
sfbayjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase