Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
wysardad

This could be my masterpiece, or disasterpiece

Greetings. Up til now, I have been able [mostly] to get my answers by searching this vast resource. I've registered now (thanks Dave) because I haven't been able to find a conclusion to the dreaded "moisture sandwich" conundrum. I thought perhaps if I presented my particular situation, I could get a general yea or nay.

Here is the project; Tiling a new shower in the old jacuzzi space at the end of the bathroom. Nominally 80 inch. wide x 45 deep. The wall separating the room from the space is <>40 inch. wide allowing entry on the right end. The walls in the enclosed end of the space will be tiled to the ceiling and define the shower end. Walls in the entry/towel end will be half tiled [wainscot] carried on out into the bathroom. Walls are plain ol' 1/2" drywall on 3mil poly over craftfaced fiberglass in stud wall. They are painted and in very good shape.
My thought was to put up Goboard directly on the walls where I wanted tile. This was before I cut a couple holes in the walls to run my pex and install drop ears and shower valve and realized there was a vapor barrier behind the sheetrock. (Yessss, I could have made this realization before cutting the holes, I'm old, give me a break)
The question; Will these walls continue to provide a substantial base or crumble into a pile of wet goo in the bottom of the wall cavity leaving my goboard cantilevered on the ends of the Goboard screws?
Thanks for reading this far. What say you?
Unread 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Phillip.

GoBoard is supposed to be waterproof, but as of the last Coverings show they were using a caulking product to seal seams (which I don't recommend). I think if I were going to use GoBoard in a shower I would use Kerdi-band to waterproof the joints.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase