Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #76
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I suggest you remove the kerdi tip and clean it out with a wire and paper towel and alcohol. Then c as p the tube tio real good but plan on a dry plug in the cap that you will need to remove.
Unread 10-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #77
GHR

Question tiled myself into a corner...

In 2014 when I built the bathtub surround I put 13x13 tiles along when wall from the tub to behind the commode stopping short of tiling up to the vanity.

Now I have finished tiling the countertop but I have the problem shown into the photo.

No matter what I do that area is going to be ugly.

I put a ledgeboard parallel to the grout line of the 13x tile with intention to align the grout lines and cut those against the counter.
But I'm on the fence whether to move the 6x6 tile back to be aligned with the countertop or not.

Doing so will put a cut tile in the space between the 13x tiles and the wall/backsplash tiles. If I don't then the tiles' grout lines on the counter top will not be aligned with those on the wall/backsplash.

As I said either choice is ugly.

Any idea for an alternative? Maybe trim the 13x tiles with wood or some other break? Ideally I should not have tiled behind the commode until I had tiles the countertop/backsplash, but that hindsight is 5 yrs too late.
Attached Images

Unread 10-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #78
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Not sure I understand all the problem, even after rereading a couple of times.

Less ugly is better, right? Choose that one.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with grout joint alignment horizontal to vertical. The visual break in pattern will be less visible than an odd width piece on wall.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2019, 06:06 PM   #79
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wouldn't use the 6x6 on the back splash, continue the 13x13.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #80
GHR

Like I said been 5 yrs since I tiled the rest of the wall.

I don't have enough tile to go along the backsplash. I never intended to continue those tiles to the backsplash so I did not buy enough tile for that.

I have 3 tiles of that type left and a handful of 3-4" slivers which I will use to fill in against the vanity going vertical to the floor. I left them out knowing I might change vanities or as I did reuse what I had.

Like I said I tiled my self into a corner on this.
Unread 10-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #81
BrianBrasher

Maybe you could turn the 4" tile 45 degrees on the back splash and into that gap so the grout lines would not run the same direction and not have to line up. Just a thought.
Unread 10-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #82
workhurts

I think it's hard to visualize because we don't see the grout line of the countertop in that picture but now I see what you are asking. If you shift the tile to the right to meet up with the 13x13, the lines won't line up with the countertop. If you line the backsplash with the countertop lines you'll be left with a sliver.

Purposely don't line up with the countertop. I'm guessing you have plenty of the smaller tile. Cut one up one way to it's like a 50% offset and see what it looks like.

When I did my baseboard in the bathroom I was really hell bent on lining up grout lines but then decided to do the exact opposite and I like it better.
Unread 10-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #83
GHR

BrianBrasher I think you have hit on the solution.

I need a pattern break and turning the first row of tile on 45 degrees might just be the ticket.

For further reference of the countertop here is a better shot with the tiles lined on the backsplash. *Ignore the broken tiles.* The box had a bunch of broken tiles out of the box and I'll need to open a new one (of which I have 6).
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase