Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
jmckeone

Bathroom Vanity Backsplash Install ?

Hello,

Newbie to the forum here, Ive been reading a lot of good info on this site which has really helped me with my master bath renovation that I started 2 months ago. I'm 3/4 of the way finished and with my wife and I expecting our first child in 4 weeks I'm trying to kick it up a notch and finish this project before I never get to sleep again!

My bathroom has a sloped ceiling and above the vanity we have decided to install a stone backsplash all the way up to the ceiling. My question, each tile weighs about 4.5 lbs......I have around 30 tiles to install which is 135 lbs. I originally planned to just use purple board all the way up since it is a non wet area but my concern is if the purple board will be strong enough to support that much weight on the face. Should I go with cement board instead? Any specific thin-set that will work better on the walls? Anything else I should consider? Ive attached a picture of the wall (dont worry that light is getting ripped out) and the tiles being used.

Thanks for the help,
Jim
Attached Images

Unread 09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Jim.

Properly fastened gypsum wallboard will support that tile installation just fine. There is no advantage at all to using any color drywall other than white in that application.

Any good quality thinset mortar, properly applied, will work fine in that application. Those tiles appear to be natural stone, so I wouldn't recommend an organic adhesive (mastic).

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
jmckeone

Thanks CX for your response. I figured sheetrock would hold but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks again,
Jim

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase