Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I think the dry blade on the circular saw will be a challenge - the blade rotates the wrong way, and you'll likely have a good 2 or 3 inches at the end that the blade can't get to because of the saw base and blade housing.

Edit: Peter pecks quicker than I do!
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
speed51133

get a new oven/stove. OR pay to have the stone removed and cut.
Unread 09-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #18
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Don't forget Mike, that we are the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet. Says so at the top of the page, eh? We like to encourage growth and learning and success. I say, "Go for it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbo
I know this is a tough question, but how many 10-second passes do you think I'll end up making? 100? 300? Your answer will help me understand how much pressure to apply.
Depends on the grit and how much you're pressing. With that el cheapo grinding cup wheel from Horror Frieght (I think it's equivalent to about 80 grit), I would take a wild ass guess at 10-15 passes with light to medium pressure. Perhaps pressing forward with a pound of force. I'm sure you'll naturally increase or lighten that force based on how things were going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbo
Oops. One more. Tool Guy you write "I'd make medium-speed passes from right to left." I'm confused by this. Do you mean back to front?
Yes, starting in the back and touching the wheel to the granite and gliding it to the front. If it were me, I'm sure that after a few passes of not allowing the left side to touch the granite that I'd be comfortable enough to keep the wheel touching the granite while grinding in both the back and forth passes.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #19
speed51133

I just don't think you will freehand a cut that looks "perfect".

Maybe that doesn't matter?
Unread 09-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
gabec55

I have cut many stove openings

I am retired now, but as an installer I had to cut many stove openings when installing granite slab countertops.
Slide-in ranges have the controls on the front and the cut sheet tells cut out dimensions. Most have a wider dimension in the front 1 1/2" or so and require a piece in the back, they are all self-rimming like a top mount sink. So they do not require a finished edge.

Free standing ranges have the controls on the front or the back. They do not need a piece along the back of the space, but do need finished edges.

Appliances come with user manual and also installation manuals. First see what the manufacter wants for dimensions. You started this thread calling out a slide-in , but your discussion is about a free standing range.
What is the cabinet spacing, can you remove all the cut from one side and have the range look centered in the cabinets

On free standing Ranges if I had to cut the space larger, I would, using masking tape, mark the cut. Using a cupped wheel on my angle grinder and my shop vac I would grind to the line. Change to an 80 grit stone at slow to medium speed to smooth the stone and create an eased edge( small top radius) then use wet polishing pads to polish the edge.

Different granites have greatly differing hardness. Dark colors are generally harder, lighter colors softer. Some have hard and soft in the same 24" cut.
Even with a shop vac it is a dusty messy job.

Gary
gabec55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase