Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #346
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Has been tough to find/make the time, so many competing projects, but still more progress made.

A milestone reached - all tile has been installed. And I'd say 2/3rds of it grouted. Was nice to finally be able to put the tile saw away.

All the time/effort getting the floor level, the walls flat, the crown level, and my tile courses level paid off; when I got to the top row they all got cut at 10 1/8", leaving between 1/16th and 1/8th gap below the crown. Was pretty please with that.

The Montolit glass blade I used proved worth the expense, cut through the glass very smoothly with no chipping at all, and I used Flexbond set the glass (which actually has a plastic backing). Setting the mesh mounted sheets was less than fun; very inaccurately spacing so it too all kinds of time and all manner of spacers to get them mostly straight with consistent gaps.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #347
ss3964spd

Pics...
Attached Images

Unread 08-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #348
ss3964spd

More...
Attached Images

Unread 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #349
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Looks great! Glad one of us is making significant progress on their projects.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #350
Gozo

Is that an electronic shower control on the wall next to the floor heat thermostat? If so, that’s cool. Avoids the long reach into the shower to turn it on and adjust it. I was leery of electronic controls failing prematurely (for me that’s a 20-30 year expectation) so went with conventional. I’m an old guy, what can I say?
Unread 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #351
ss3964spd

Thanks PC. Yeah, got a wild hair to do some major landscaping at the front of the house, a project that also snowballed to include painting brick façade of the house. And oh, fixing the truck - but that's a different story. Evidently I'm easily distracted. LOL

Yeah Jeff, it is, and for exactly the reason you astutely pointed out. First considered just going with the single controller in the shower but because I don't like cold water, and the controllers aren't really that expensive, I decided to add the second one next to the floor controller. It should work well, the system has a warm up feature; turn it on outside the shower, it runs the water until it reaches the preset temp then stops until you hit the ON button again on either controller.

I'm old too. This system has been around for awhile so I'm trusting that Kohler has gotten all the bugs out.
Unread 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #352
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Yep, I've got several projects going on two houses which can be a challenge. Just complete demolishing the 1970's addition off of a 1928 listed house. Getting the sections down went well but took a bit of time to find the right people (as always).

The contractor who excavated out the old foundation was a wizard with his backhoe. Amazing how much concrete those things can lift.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #353
ss3964spd

This is the kind of thing that irks me, and adds to my timeline, because I like to have things neat and tidy. And a wadded up power cord, well, isn't.

In addition to the proprietary water line connection (don't even get me started on that) the Toto bidet seat comes with a 3.5 foot power cord. While I understand they're trying to allow for the fact that not everyone has an outlet in very close proximity to the seat, they could/should at least allow for those that do by making the cord field replaceable with a shorter one. I mean, even Toto's in-wall toilet bowl carrier instructions place the optional outlet in roughly the same spot as Geberit does.

But noooooo, they don't. So from set up to clean up I spent two hours fixing it.
Unread 09-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #354
ss3964spd

pics
Attached Images

Unread 09-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #355
ss3964spd

more
Attached Images

Unread 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #356
ss3964spd

Finally Finished!

It's been a long road but I've finally come to the end of it.

Thanks to all who have offered advise/guidance/opinion/encouragement/and humor. As has been said so many times in these pages, the TYW forum is without equal. To the pros and DIY'ers alike, who willingly and freely offer their experience and insights, a hearty thank you to all.
Attached Images

Unread 10-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #357
cx
Da Home Builder

All looks pretty snazzy, Dan.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #358
Gozo

Ooooo.... I’m jealous. Looks real nice. Very good work.
On the floor heat thermostat, is that set to 41F? Mine only goes down to 55, both of which temps are essentially off mode. Or is it 41C? That would be a very warm floor indeed.
So, is Mrs. Dan impressed? Did you get the surprised “OMG, it’s wonderful”. All I got after years of work was “well, it took you long enough”.
Unread 10-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #359
Mdsims

Great work! I really like how it turned out, and the natural light.
Unread 10-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #360
ss3964spd

Thanks gentlemen. Am pleased with how it turned out, I'm particularly fond of the dark stone accents. Unfortunately the photos don't reflect the true colors of the walls. I also am please with how the glass accent strip lines up with the wall sconces. Quite by accident, mind you, but I'll take it.

Yeah Jeff, it's in manual mode, 41F - basically off. I haven't bothered to program it yet but am kind of surprised there is no "Off" function.

She's been very supportive, but withheld final compliments until returning from a multi-hour shopping trip for towels and accessories. LOL

The natural light is nice, Matt. The skylight and window didn't exist at all in the old bathroom.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase