Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #31
Don Monfils
Pro Carpet

New update
After replacing the 40 tiles they had marked with tape,
I was asked to go back... they had an additional 35 marked.
The flooring manager went over to the job, with myself and
three officers from the firehouse.
Upon closer inspection nearly every tile has some slight chipped
edge or defect .
The manager spoke with Dal tile and they told him, if I had not it installed them
They would have sent new replacement tile ( as if they have 400 ft. of tiles with no defects) mind you these tiles took 3 weeks to get in the first place.
Dal tile did offer to refund the store the cost of the tile.
The store offered to give the firehouse the tile/ labor at no cost.
The firehouse has not responded to the offer, I can’t imagine they would refuse if they have to pay nothing for it .
Here’s the kicker the store wants me to pay back all my labor ( over $2500)
which includes ripping up VCT and floor prep.
I am beside myself over this. I have a full week of labor plus 15 additional hours into replacing the 40 tiles. I have never had this happen in all of my 31 years of installing flooring.
Unread 08-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #32
Kman

Don, given that they supplied the tile, and already had you back to replace 10% at your expense, I think I'd tell them to go pound sand. Here's why, specifically:

First, regardless of the outcome of the tile, you did all the demo and prep. That's worth something.

Second, as I mentioned, they supplied the tile, and from what you told us you made a good effort to mitigate the problems inherent in the tile by using the damaged ones for cuts.

Third, and most importantly, if they were going to have you eat the whole job, why have you come back and replace only 40? In my way of thinking, they shouldn't be calling you back for spot replacement only to decide later that the whole thing is a loss. What changed between the time you went back to replace the tile and the present?

If it was a smaller job and they were good to me in the past, I might eat that much. But you're looking at quite a bit of work, including redoing what you've already redone.

Nah, they're trying to get you to pay for their bad decisions and crap tile.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #33
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Before you even started and noticed the chipped edges when starting to preview material for placement you should have stopped immediately and informed the supplier of defective material. Looks like someone let boxes slam into each other during delivery or in the warehouse. I stopped using Dal years ago when every job became a problem with material quality.
When you install defective material you own it. Every tile carton has that legalese on it about inspection before installation. At some point in our careers we have walked in your shoes!

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #34
Dave Gobis
da Man!

From my perspective, based on past experience with these types of claims, if the chipped edge was grouted in you own it.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #35
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I agree with Dave. Generally speaking, the last guy to touch it owns it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2019, 07:44 AM   #36
smifwal

Don I feel your pain. I did shop work when I first went out on my own. The pressure they put on you to just get the job done is sometimes overwhelming. And the threat that there is some hungry installer waiting to take your place in the pecking order will make you want to try to just make it work. And while most times it works out fine, that one time it doesn't it could set you way back. But as others have said once you touch it you own it and once you buy a job it will change the way you look at every install from here on out. I treat every job with the thought of someone coming in and saying well why did you do it like that? Monday morning quarterbacking as we call it, it has save me more than once. Sorry that this has happened to ya

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase