Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
mmontz

remove old tile?

I am retiling a bathroom that already has tile that is in good shape although it has been painted. Do I need to remove these tiles or can I tile over them? I tried to remove a section in the corner but it's like they were cemented in. This leave th under floor very uneven. If I don't have to remove them , Is there any way to fix the 4 x 6 area that I've broken up? These tile are anywhere from 75 to 80 years old.
mmontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
michaelhazuka
Union Tile Setter--Green Bay, WI

Quote:
cemented in
Tiles cemented in...No, really?

I'm just kidding..start out with a name...it's easier to help you. My opinion is if you already started, there's no turning back now. Since you stated that the tiles were painted, more than likely you will not be able to tile directly over the painted surface without removing the paint.

It's probably an old mud set installation..you can't beat the strength of that floor. A cold chisel and hammer work the best to demo it.

-Mike
michaelhazuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
John Corley

Hello

You have a floor that was installed before thinset was invented. Very strong floor!.. However I never recomend going over existing tile. I would never do it myself.

Particularly one that has been painted.

You may want to consider renting a small jackhammer.

Good Luck

John
John Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
mmontz

Unhappy

Okay. So I have to remove the old tiles. I am left with a very unlevel floor. How do I fix that and is it something I can do myself or should I hire a professional?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard. We do ask for a first name. Make one up.

I advocate tiling over the original tile. I think it's worth removing the paint and using a high-flex thin set right over the old floor. I know there's a good mud bed underneath.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
mmontz

My name is Michelle.

Wish you had answered sooner. I just finished removing all the tile and the cement bed underneath. Turned out it was a good thing to do because the subfloor needs replacing around the toliet. Hopefully will have the new floor and cement board in today or tomorrow and can tile by Friday. I read in a earlier post not to use the premixed motar. This is what I bought. Do I need to take it back and get another kind? I also got sanded grout. My tiles are 12"square.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Michelle....

I think the pros here would say "return your pre-mix and get dry thin-set you must mix".

if your using Hardibacker... follow their instructions for laying their CBU in thin-set (I use unmodified thin-set for this) and fastening (nailing or screwing the CBU) and applying and imbeding a reccommended tape to all seams. For imbeding the tape I use the same thin-set that will be used to set tiles with which.... is the same thin-set (but now modified) used to bed the CBU.

I glad you discovered the necessary subfloor repairs... makes tearing everything out worth while.

Good luck
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
jdm

The stuff labelled "premixed thinset" are totally different from the bagged thinsets that you mix yourself. Premixed thinset cannot contain cement and are basically mastic and fine sand.

Taking the premixed stuff back and buying real thinset is definitey worth the trouble.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase