Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
tex tiler

First time shower renovation

Hi all... been looking around here for a few weeks, and have found a wealth of information to get my project going, but finally decided I may do better to post my own project thread...

I recently tore down my shower because several sections of tile were a bit "squishy", and "the tile" needed to be redone. Well, one thing led to another, and before I knew it I was down to the studs and slab! Enter the John Bridge forum!

So after a few weeks of reading, minor progress, additional demo, etc... I've finally installed a new drain in the floor, built a curb base of 2 x 3s, and put in the pre-slope base of mud. I'm to the point of putting in the liner this week, but am struggling a bit deciding the correct sequence of events to continue.

Here's the current plan in my mind:

1. Install the liner
2. Test for leaks by filling the pan with a couple inches of water and letting it sit for 24 hours
3. Hope step 2 completes without leaks
4. Hang 4 mil plastic over the studs and install hardiboard backer to about 1/2 inch from the pre-slope floor
5. Build the curb, as described in the "Liberry"
6. Add the base layer of deck mud, on top of the liner
7. Ready to start tiling...

Does this order seem correct? I'm pretty confident in the order of 1 - 3, but after that it's a little iffy...

I appreciate any guidance on how I should proceed, so I can try to limit the number of additional "chalk it up to learning" events going forward.
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
bbcamp

Your order of work looks OK. Fill the pan almost to the top of the curb for the test. Don't forget to use the "dam corners" where the curb meets the walls and/or door jamb. This is a critical area, and won't be tested by the leak test.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
tex tiler

Thanks for the advice on filling all the way up to almost the top, I might have neglected the "dam corners" in the leak test.

After re-reading (again) the ontario tile article on building a shower pan and the Liberry article on building a shower curb, I see what seem to be two different sequences on when the curb is finished.

The ontario tile article steps:
1. install the liner
2. install the cbu
3. install the lathe
4. add the base floor deck mud
5. mortar the curb

The Liberry article steps:
1. install the liner
2. install the cbu (assumed)
3. install the lathe
4. mortar the curb
5. tile the walls
6. tile the curb... and in the last picture the tiles are on the curb and walls but the second layer of deck mud still hasn't been added on the floor. Is this just because the article was a focus on the curb w/o the floor, or is there a reason for possibly adding the deck mud after tiling the sides?

Apologies for the basic questions, which I'm sure have been answered a thousand times, but I've not been able to find those answers...
Unread 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
bbcamp

Matt, there is more than one way to tile a shower. Most follow one or the other of your articles, but there's always room to adjust the sequence to support your specific schedule.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase