Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
shower KC

To Schluter or not to Schluter, that's the question...

I'm in the second year of a 10-year total remodeling of my 40-year-old home, and the current project is making an 8x20 room that was second floor attic into a full bathroom and separate laundry room for a guest bedroom suite. The remodeling crew (I'm doing the finish work, not rough-in) wants to use the traditional mortar base for the 4x7 tiled shower, I'm concerned about the weight and possible cracking/leaking as my house has had some settling issues. I'd rather use the Schluter system, but not having used it personally before (neither has the remodeler) I'm not sure what to do...should I let them do what they're used to, or put my foot down and demand the Schluter system? I'm paying for either, so cost isn't the issue...quality, longevity and lack of leaks are the most important. Thanks in advance for your input on my dilemma!
shower KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
gueuzeman

Well, between the mud bed and the cement board you are talking about a bit of weight vs. gypboard and styrofoam for the kerdi shower. Properly built, either one will work fine, the comfort in the Kerdi (or any surface applied membrane system) is that the walls and shower pan never get wet, removing the possibility of mold.

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I agree, a properly built traditional shower pan is fine if done right.

on the other hand a Schluter shower which no water getting to the substrates is better.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I'd go Schluter Kerdi. To me it is a huge benefit keeping the water out of the mud bed and not having to worry about weep holes getting blocked.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, shower KC. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.

The difference in weight amongst the various methods of building a shower pan should not be a consideration at all. Your structure should be able to accommodate any type of shower you elect to construct, and if it's not, it should be improved such that it is. It's really that simple. If and extra hundred pound is going to make a structural difference, you have a structural problem.

Consider that you also couldn't even have more than one person in the shower at a time if your structure were that lacking. Or you couldn't even have one full sized MIL in there, or even upstairs, if that were the case.

But I certainly agree with those who recommend the Kerdi shower system. Having your waterproofing directly behind the tile is a considerable advantage to my thinking.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Quote:
should I let them do what they're used to, or put my foot down and demand the Schluter system?
Regardless of what system you choose, make sure you have an installer that understands it and can execute it properly. I'd rather have an expertly constructed mud shower, than an incorrectly constructed Kerdi/Wedi/Noble/Hydroban/Whatever shower.

I'm NOT SAYING not to use your current guys. I'm saying make sure they get all the info they need if you have them use a system they aren't familiar with. We can help with that if needed and answer questions
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Based on the number of do-it-yourselfers (thousands) who have successfully completed Kerdi showers, it shouldn't be a problem for a pro who has the proper instruction.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

Absolutely John. And thats what I was getting at, don't just drop a Kerdi kit in their lap and make em use it. Make sure they get any and all the info they need to do it right.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

...and tell 'em to come here with any questions...

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase