Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
dlynen

Kitchen backsplash project

Had a question about wall prep. Removed old ceramic tiles from backsplash area with remarkably little damage, but did remove top paper layer of drywall. I sealed the drywall with gardz (great product!) and then repaired any damaged areas with patch and joint compound. I skim coated a couple of areas with the joint compound to level out the surface. Now my dumb question. Can I tile over the joint compound? Should it be primed? Or, do I need to skim coat with thinset? I have read so many different answers on various websites and have confused myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be using 4x4 tumbled marble tiles.

Thanks, Debi
dlynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the forum, Debi.

If you're talking about the joint compound that comes premixed in a tub, then yes, you should prime it first.
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
dlynen

Thanks Dan. That's what I thought. It is the premixed stuff.

Debi
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Debi.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
dlynen

Unhappy Thinset question

Started tiling backsplash today with 4x4 tumbled marble. We did first row straight and subsequent rows on a diagonal. We had the worst time with slipping tiles. We are using laticrete modified thinset multipurpose over drywall that has been primed. Followed the directions on the bag and used spacers. What are we doing wrong? Should I have sanded the walls? Wrong thinset? It was very frustrating to say the least. We worked on a 52 x 18 in area and only got half way finished. Still have another 41 x 23 in area and large "L" part of the kitchen to do. If it all goes Like this, I don't think I can do it. My husband and I are pretty handy and did not expect this much difficulty. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Debi
Unread 04-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Debi,

The thin set is fine; you need to be using some sort of spacers between the tiles, either plastic wedges (Home Depot) or pieces of cardboard. Plastic X spacers pushed in sideways also work.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
dlynen

We are using spacers. Wondering if the thinset had too much water. We followed the directions, but the consistency was not as thick as "peanut butter" but thicker than pancake batter. Do you think it was too thin?

Debi
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #8
bbcamp

Probably so. It should be stiff enough to hold a ridge when you comb it out. Did yours?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
dlynen

There was a ridge, but maybe not a "stiff" ridge, if that makes any sense. We will try some more tonight and mix the thinset with a little less water. We are mixing small batches at a time, so I suppose the scale could be a little off as well.

Thanks for your help!

Debi
Unread 04-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #10
dlynen

Well, we did more tiling last night. Let me tell you, it sure makes all the difference in the world when the thinset is mixed to the right consistency! Now I am sorry that we didn't pull off the tile from the first try. Grout lines are not great there, but it is in a butler pantry area and not right out in the open kitchen. Oh well, live and learn!

My next question is this: Under our kitchen window, there is a 1 inch gap running the width of the window, ordinarily something that would be covered with wood trim. When I pulled off the old tile, it was filled with an epoxy-like material. Looks like the same stuff that was used to place the original tile. It is beige in color and very hard. Some of it was pulled our or broken when removing tiles. What should I use to fill this gap before I hang my new tiles?

Thanks to all,

Debi
Unread 04-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
bbcamp

Will your marble tiles be able to span this area? They don't need much support as long as most of the tile will be attached to something solid.
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
dlynen

Yes, the tiles will span the gap. Does that mean that I don't have to worry about filling it at all?

Thanks, Debi
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
bbcamp

Yep. It's a backsplash, not a floor.
Unread 04-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #14
dlynen

Great! Thanks again.

Debi
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
dlynen

Grout question

Tiling is going slow but sure. We have limited time to work on it, but it is coming out well so far. I wanted to ask a question about grout. I read over and over to be careful not to mix too much water with grout and watch when cleaning tiles, but is it possible to use too little water when mixing? If so, what are the consequences of that? It is hard to get exact measurements when you are mixing smaller batches.

Thanks for the help,

Debi

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase