Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-23-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
civic2007

First time bathroom renovation

ok this is going to be really my first project i will be taking on. so any input or ideas you have are much appreciated. House is from 1954 and it has not been updated. Ill tell you what i had, what i have, and where i want to be. Im remodeling restroom and i have a stand up shower I had ceramic tilin in whole shower and it was tiling on all four sides and just had a door way on one side. Entire bathroom had tile half way up walls and countertop also had tiling. All the tileing is gone from floors and also i have chipped up the mortar on floor because i was told it could not be tiled over. Counter top tiling is removed too and im thinking about goign with some kind of marble finish and two sinks compared to the one i ahve now. I also have some galvanized piping i want to change out with copper like the rest of the house is. They were not able to get to this piping becasue of the ceramic tiling. Also shower is gutted out completety. And toilet is gone two. I had a little stall from bathroom area to comode and shower which i tore down. This shouldnt be structural correct? Also the shower had ceiling about six and half feet high and i want to raise it two the eight feet. I want to make two walls including door on shower glass so will the shower ceiling be able to support the weight of the ceramic tiling i plan to put on shower ceiling again? I will put ceramic tiles on two walls in shower and the other two i want to make see through galss to make bathroom look bigger. I will ceramic tile the floor again too. Also please let me know if shower ceiling will be ok if i leave one corner without a 2x4 for support to hold it up running vertically on that one side? Should i put a 2x4 on that corner as well and just put ceramic tiling over it? Also how can i reinforce ceiling tiles so i know it will support the ceramic tiling i put on the ceiling? Bathroom right now is gutted so i would like any advice or tips on anything. Please give me ideas people on where its sinks or certain tiling i should do or glass walls? Also should i purchase glass door and walls now or frame it out and stores will be able to frame out the glass door and walls for any size? Again most this im learning so please help me out guys. thanks
civic2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
bikemike

Hi Civic, have a first name we can call you?

Lots of questions jammed in there. I suggest that you start by posting some pictures of your bathroom which will provide a visual for what you are talking about. You need to have posted 5 times here in order to post pictures, so just respond to your own thread a few times to get your post count up to five.

If you're planning to buy a custom shower door they will make it any size you want, although sticking to some typical standard sizes will probably save you some money. If you play to buy a premade shower door they will accomodate a range of widths but you should plan ahead to make sure your finished opening fits in that range.

Good idea to change out the galvanized piping. You won't regret it, at least when it's done!

Regarding the shower ceiling, you really need framing around the entire perimeter but some pictures will help us figure out what you're dealing with. There are lots of friendly people here that will give you the help you need.

Welcome to the forum!

Unread 05-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #3
civic2007

ok cool. Well the reason why i ask about the framing on the ceiling is that before i tore it down it was framed but it was much lower than what i want it. so maybe i dont even need to frame it? Maybe i can just raise it the length of my bathroom ceiling?
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
civic2007

Where to purchase glass door from?

Where do you guys do most of your shopping for glass doors? Local stores or do you guys order anything online?
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
civic2007

What does the mortar is for?

What does the mortar that is placed under the floor ceramic tiling and in showers serve purpose fo? just to level it out?
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

I buy from local stores that specialize in shower doors.
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
civic2007

ok thanks.. And would you buy the door before you frame out your shower taht way you dont have to customize shower door? Also When you install a shower door would you have that empty gap above the shower door or would you make a little wall from the ceiling to prevent the gap about the door? What do you think looks better?
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Mike2

How about a first name civic?

Please keep all your questions with this project thread rather than starting another thread with each new question. We can rename this thread for you at any time if you like.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
civic2007

oh ok.. sorry.. Names Cody
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Brad Denny
CTEF Director

Hello! Welcome to the forum!
I like an open shower and having plenty of room for the shower to breathe is good if you aren't doing a steam shower, in my opinion. If you have a door in mind, you could find out the framing dimensions off the box at the store. I bought my door from a local shop as well, but if you going this route you need to build your shower and have your jambs finished before a hard quote can be given. I'm sure you could find someone to give a free estimate. Roughly, a 3/8" thick glass semi-frameless door 5'x30" with a 12" sidelight for an opening to a 42" shower will be around $1000 to $1500. With that said, it would be gret for you to browse the Liberry for some great info you might need. Also, as Mike said, pictures make all the difference if you are able.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
Brad Denny
CTEF Director

Here you go, Cody. Secret to posting images!

Unread 05-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
civic2007

some pics before i gutted out restroom completetly

ill post some more pics of what it looks like now but basically it is just the studs.. no more framing besides the wall studs all around.. Let me know how you guys would frame out this shower room.. Im all ears
Attached Images

Unread 05-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #13
civic2007

where to get glass panel

looking for a shower glass panel. Do you guys know if i can order this from a local store like lowes or home depot or do i have to go to a custom glass store? Im looking for a 36x96 panel,,
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
Brad Denny
CTEF Director

Cody, I got my guy outta the phone book. First time I'd done that before, but it turned out great.

Unread 05-26-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
Catman60

cody, what's that above the existing shower framing? Is that substrate for the upstairs? You had a blast pulling out that tile mortar and lath didn't ya'. I'm finishing up my second bath in a 1957 bath myself. The TEAROUT is NO fun!
Catman60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase