Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Dan White

Smile Final Renovation Pics!

Hi all. It has been awhile since I've posted here, but I got a lot of invaluable advice here regarding all of the different floors and transitions in my store. I've posted a series of "before, during and after" photos on yahoo in order to save John's bandwith. I think there are 66 photos! Anyway, some of the pics are not floor related, but many are. I should say that the resolution in the photos does not do justice to how dumpy the store was before renovation. The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/dfr9k

Basically we ripped out 380 sf of kitchen floor down to joists, replaced and shored up several joists in the kitchen, levelled the floor and put back in ceramic tile. We also redid about 150 sf behind the counter in the same tile. In the rest of the store, we shored up joists in the back room, fixed some other subfloor problems, levelled, and laid down 800 sf of Indian multicolor slate. We have had the store open for about a month now, and have no problems with the slate. Everybody loves it. I can say that my floor laying isn't perfect, but for the most part it came out very much to my satisfaction.

I can say that the total floor space is about 1600 sf. After laying down countless bags of SLC, and even more countless bags of thinset, not to mention back buttering and laying all that slate, my knees and back really felt it. I did virtually all of it myself. We also cut the slate for copper accent pieces, which went in nicely, but took time. I think it was worth it. I also have to cop to having the back counter wall (the one with colorful inset tiles) done professionally, as well as the bathroom floor and walls. I did the prep on the bathroom floor, but with time constraints and the good deal I got from the installer, I couldn't say no!

Thanks again to all. I hope you take a look at the pics (sorry for the volume) and if I can help anybody with my experience I'd be glad to contribute back to the group, good or bad!

Oh, and business is booming! People appreciate the new store and the good food!

Dan White
Dan White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dan,

Beautiful job. Everything looks just great. I've got a problem with your "expert craftsman," though. He wearing work gloves, and everybody knows real he-man hands don't do that.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yep, I remember that project well, Dan. Even rekanize some of them pichers. Bet if feels good to be finished and back in bidness.

But I don't see no pichers showin' no isloation membrane on none of that floor. Lot of strange transition areas as I recall. Sure hope it all stays together for you.

No need to be a stranger just because yours is done. Drop by and share the pain with the other newbies.

At least let us know in a year or so how it all held up. That was a pretty challenging project.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
Dan White

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge
Hi Dan,

Beautiful job. Everything looks just great. I've got a problem with your "expert craftsman," though. He wearing work gloves, and everybody knows real he-man hands don't do that.

Yes, well, the gloves... I think I had just moved a bunch of razor wire. Or, some other he-man activity like that. Actually I think what happened was that my wife wanted to take a picture of me doing something...so I picked up a drill. I must've been moving something around at the time...I certainly wasn't using gloves for driving screws! Too funny.

Thanks for your help!
dwhite
Unread 06-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Dan White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Yep, I remember that project well, Dan. Even rekanize some of them pichers. Bet if feels good to be finished and back in bidness.

But I don't see no pichers showin' no isloation membrane on none of that floor. Lot of strange transition areas as I recall. Sure hope it all stays together for you.

No need to be a stranger just because yours is done. Drop by and share the pain with the other newbies.

At least let us know in a year or so how it all held up. That was a pretty challenging project.
Hi CX. Thanks for your help as well. You caused a lot of additional work for me, you know, with all those joist supports for deflection, and additional subflooring. I do have more pics, but didn't want to overdo it. In the kitchen and back room I had to use a combination of hardibacker, SLC and even lathe. I put down a minimum of two layers of 3/4" ply in the kitchen, and quite a bit more in some parts of the kitchen in order to take the slope out of the floor. Jacking up the floor wasn't a good option, though we did look at doing that. Hardibacker/concrete and ceramic went on top of that. As far as the back room, that's where we'll see if there will be any problems. I did reduce the joist span from 12' to 6' for the slate per deflectometer. I didn't use any isolation membrane in that room, but put down lathe/SLC as needed, and used Flexbond mortar as hopeful insurance against movement problems. I left a small gap at the transition between the back room and front room, which actually I still haven't filled. I was going to put sanded caulk there.

I will certainly keep in touch with the group in case there are any problems down the road. For now, I am glad to be back in business so that my knees can have a break!

I mentioned that I did all the work myself, but that's not quite accurate. I should recognize that my grill cook helped me out a lot with screwing down the subfloor and helping to move literally tons of stuff around. I couldn't tell you how many screws he drove...1000's!

Regards,
dwhite

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase