Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Gambro

Kerdi as an Afterthought

Wanted some opinion here as to whether this is a good idea or not or just overkill.

I have already installed my shower base complete with pre-slope, pan and final cement layer. My walls are cement board and I will be installing a corner seat made of plywood. After reading various threads on this board I will use Kerdi to cover the seat but also thought I may as well do all of the walls and corners with Kerdi using Versabond over the CBD. I won't do the pan (as I did not use the Kerdi drain) but wanted to use kerdi strips where the cement board meets the pan around the edges.

Ok or overkill or not a good idea?
Gambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
bbcamp

On the walls, if you already have a vapor barrier behind the backerboard, you don't need the Kerdi. It's somewhat harder to install Kerdi over backerboard anyway, so you would just be borrowing trouble, not to mention the potential problems from having a double vaopr barrier.

Where the walls meet the floor, why bother with the corners if you don't do the rest of the floor?

Just curious, though. How did you do the seat? Is it inside the pan? Do you have another thread where we discussed this before?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Gambro

Bob
I have not done the seat yet... it will sit inside the pan ... I realize I could also do it the way John recommends with cement block and mortar but feel more comfortable working with wood..

In regards to the Kerdi, actually 2 of the 3 sides of the shower have vapor barrier but one side (where the water pipes and shower head are, do not - long story) ... that is the wall I was concerned with and one of the reasons I wanted to use Kerdi... is it ok then to just use the Kerdi on that one wall and over the wood seat on the other wall?
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
bbcamp

Glad I axed! Wood seats don't belong inside the pan. Water will soak into the setting bed and migrate up the wood framing unseen until it's too late. If you don't want to try a monument bench (you really need to re-think that), then frame the bench before you set the preslope and liner. Think of the front of the bench as a wall and add blocking at the bottom to attach the liner. Cover the surfaces of the bench with CBU, then coat the whole she-bang with a surface waterproofer, like Redgard. Run the waterproofer up the walls at least 6 inches and all the way down to the pan. Use the fiberglass tape in the corners.

The monument bench will be easier. You only need to purchase some blocks; the rest of the materials you will need to have on-hand anyway. It can be build iinside the pan, either by starting on the liner directly, or on the setting bed. It will not need to be waterproofed, since any water that get in it will flow down to the pan and out the drain. If you can master the other aspects of building a shower, then the monument bench will be a snap.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well you can't build a wood seat inside the pan at this point. There will be no way to keep it isolated from the shower floor mud (which would be under it and around it). Your two options are the mud monument bench or the something like the "Better Bench" that does not rest on the floor. check it out.

http://www.innoviscorp.com
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Gambro

Bob/John
Thanks for the info on the bench.. I will get out of my comfort zone and go with the block and mortar ...

Now just wanted to know about the Kerdi on the one wall that does not have the vapor barrier behind the CBD .. is this ok? (I believe John mentioned that using Versabond with Kerdi on CBD worked ok... please correct me if I am wrong)...
thx
-Mike
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Mike,

I use Versa Bond with Kerdi. It sets up fine. That doesn't mean I would use any other modified without experimenting, though.

I don't know why you want to use Kerdi. Hop over to Home Depot and get a gallon of Redgard.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
Gambro

Actually I have a gallon of redguard handy

So I can just paint the redguard over the CBD wall without the vapour barrior and I am good to go?

thanks guys...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase