Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
sjantz

Mapei Mapelastic HPG over Durock Cement Board

I am helping a friend install a 3' x 5' shower using an acrylic shower pan. We would like to tile the walls and ceiling of the shower. I plan on installing Durock cement backer board on the walls and ceiling. On the backer board I plan on applying Mapei Mapelastic HPG as a waterproofing. I have a few questions I hope someone can help with:
1) Should I just tape the joints and corners of the backer board with regular mesh backer board tape (before applying the Mapelastic) or is there a special waterproofing tape that is used?
2) Other than a quicker drying time, is there any advantage to using Mapei Aquadefense as the waterproofing? (Aquadefense is significantly more expensive)
3) The acrylic shower pan has a small lip around its perimeter that I will install the cement backer board over. What is the proper way to waterproof the spot where the cement backer board meets the acrylic shower pan?
4) When applying the tile to the dried Mapelastic HPG do you use an unmodified thinset like kerabond or a modified thinset (tile will probably be a fairly large porcelain tile)?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Unread 04-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

Mapelastic HPG

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...rsn=50fa0acc_0

1 we recommend the use of our tape at changes of plane. can also be used at joints. fiberglass mesh mandatory with HPG
2. Hpg is older technology and aqua defense is the newest and best technology ( price is relative HPG must be applied thicker)
3. check with the shower pan manufacturer...sometimes you stop at the flange sometimes go over. stop the water proofing at the edge of the board and caulk the seam.
4. over a membrane is always modified or epoxy. also porcelain tile performs best with modified. Large and heavy tile requires LFT or LHT mortar.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase