Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #31
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A Prejudiced Man....

From "Sarge"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Prejudiced Man

I am a prejudiced man, I know that. I grew up in the era that had many prejudices and people were categorized by their skin color or ethnic roots. I accepting that because there were no other voices telling me otherwise. Then when I entered the military service I became a military policeman and the majority of the criminals were dark skinned men and women. Either Negro or Mexican. Soon the Asian race became populace and they were added to the criminal element. Whenever I saw a dark-skinned person I automatically put them in the criminal class. And 90 percent of the time I was right. I wasn't that I held any hate against these people it was just that I found for the survival of my men and myself I had to be prepared to accept criminal activity from them and so use the utmost caution around them.

I am retired now but the survival instinct is still strong. I put those people in their class so to speak. A while back I visited my sister and found that my neice had a negro boyfriend. I was astounded and refused to accept the relationship. Now many years later I have found out that she had several children by him. I was infuriated and refused to even see her on my visits. My sister knew of my attitude and did not force the issue.

And then I dropped in unexpectedly at my sisters home. She was baby sitting her grandchildren. Yes the little black kids. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't just turn around and leave. So I just decided to make the best of the situation I found myself in. The children were introduce to me and me to them. They were 2 yrs old and 6 and 7 yrs old. The boy being the oldest and the other two little girls. I tried to ignore the kids but they were just so happy and friendly. One asked me why I didn't smile very much. Well that question made me think. Why was I blaming these little children for the things that happened to me a long time ago? Soon I found myself playing games with the little tikes. And had them on my back as I galloped around on the carpet being the horsey. The oldest girl had the most beautiful black curly hair and the boy was just as smart as all get out. He could talk like an adult. The little baby girl fell asleep on my lap while we watched cartoons. What a day I had, and what a shock to my prejudice. I recently was able to spend a weekend with my sister on my way through her state. The first thing I asked was "How are the kids?" When I found out that they would be visiting the next day I was pleased. And when they came bursting through the door and yelling my name and jumped up on me giving me hugs and kisses.......I think all my prejudice just flew out the window.

I seem to remember from my childhood a sentence from Bible School.

"And a little child shall lead them."

That is probable taken out of context and was not used in this situation but it was very prophetic and correct for what happened to that prejudice old man that used to be me.

"Sarge," a former prejudice man
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #32
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sarge Saves A Lady's Life....

This happened some time ago. Sarge has a habit of being in the right place at the right time. None of us know when something is going to call on us to be extraordinary. This time the Lord needed someone that had the training and the desire to stop and help. It happened like this:

Sarge woke up to a typical fall day. It had rained and then froze during the night, turning the streets of Denver into the dreaded "black ice" that is common in the high country. Seeing the weather out the window had not improved during the night Sarge gulped his breakfast and left 45 min. early. And not wanting to fight the idiots on the highways he took the back roads, and shortcuts known only to the long time residents of the mile high city. This particular road was what was left of the old highway and ran along the new highway. Very little traffic and only a few stop signs. At a 4-way stop he waited for his turn and then noticed several cars pulled over across the intersection and people standing on the shoulder. Pulling his car over, one lady ran to his car door and was yelling and pointing down the shoulder.

Sarge got out and walked to the shoulder and what he saw sent a cold shiver like a icy finger running up his back. He could not believe his eyes. There a little ways off the road was a minivan with the front end hanging over a water filled sand quarry hundreds of feet deep. And to his horror filled eyes he could see someone in the drivers seat.

No one was doing anything.

Sarge waded through the weeds and when he got closer he could see that the only thing holding the van was an old barb wire fence, now stretched to guitar string thin tension. Inside was a lady. Her hands were like claws around the steering wheel and she was staring straight down at the deep freezing water.

The first thing to do was get the lady out.

Sarge called through the closed window.

The lady did not answer.

Very slowly he opened the passenger door.

"Lady, Lady, Lady." he called. No responce. Not wanting to touch the delicate balance of the van he reached over as far as he could and tapped the lady on the arm. Slowly her head turned and she looked at Sarge with unseeing eyes. "I am a trained rescuer, I am here to get you out of this car." Sarge told her. She just sat there. Realizing he had to give her enough confidence to let loose the steering wheel. Sarge kept talking to her, telling her how he was going to rescue her and telling her what she had to do. It seemed to fall on deaf ears. Finally Sarge asked, "Ma'am, do you have any children?" This caused her eyes to open wider. "Are there any children in the car, Ma'am?" asked Sarge.

Softly she replied, " no" That broke the spell and she started to cry. "Ma'am, listen to me, I am going to get you out of this car. Do you hear me Ma'am?"Sarge said.

"yes" the lady whispered.

"Now when you let loose of the steering wheel with your right hand I want you to grab my wrist, not my hand, but my wrist. It is an old Boy Scout way of holding on. It is the strongest way to hold another person, do you hear me Ma'am?" Sarge kept talking to calm the lady. "Are you ready Ma'am, LET LOOSE THE STEERING WHEEL NOW!" Sarge shouted and grabbed at the womans wrist. He pulled with all his might to break her grip on the steering wheel. Once her right hand was free she let loose voluntarily with the left hand and started to scramble across the seat. Sarge was afraid she would do exactly that and he had already set his heels as best he could so she wouldn't drag them both down with the car. He pulled with all his strength and she catapulted out of the minivan and they both fell to the ground. Getting his breath back he picked the lady up in his arms and carried her up the bank and handed her over to some women that had stopped and were watching the rescue.

Just then a trucker called down from the road. "Hey do you need any help?"

"Yes do you have any chain in your truck" Sarge yelled back.

"Sure, how much do you need." was the reply.

" Can you reach the minivan and still have your back wheels on the pavement?" Sarge called.

Soon the truck was positioned and the chain tightened. Taking up the chain slack did nothing. "What is the matter?" the trucker asked.

"She must have left it in gear." "Keep the chain tight I am going to get in and steer it out while you pull with the truck." Sarge ordered.

"MAN You are just crazy buddy." the trucker stated.

Sarge very slowly climbed into the minivan. He could hear the fence wire creaking. In slow motion he pushed on the brake and waved his hand to the trucker. As soon as the chain moved he threw the gear shift to neutral and let off the brake. The fence popped a strand and then the minivan began to move slowly backward. It paused when the front wheels hit the edge and he could hear the truck tires burning rubber up on the road, then with a little bump they came up and the van began to move up the shoulder to the road.

Sarge went over to the lady that had been wrapped up with a coat from the women helpers.

"Ma'am, your car keys, if you want we will have someone come and drive the van home." The lady fell into Sarge's arms and hugged him tightly. "Thank you so much, Thank you so much, she kept repeating over and over."

Sarge walked her over to the van and whispered to her, "Go home and hug those kids of yours real good. And love them all." "Good by Ma'am," And with that he walked back to his car.

Yes this is a true story as told to me by Sarge. It really did happen. And every Christmas Sarge gets a Christmas card from a nice lady with a picture of her and three kids on the front.

The end

Sarge
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #33
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Is that you, Steve, or has somebody stolen your username? Ease up, man.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #34
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep...just me, John.

Sorry, should I "ease up" on Sarge's Stories?????
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #35
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

No problem Laz,

I thought Sarge had his own site and thought it would be good to have the link so folks could go read more if they wanted. I'm not too worried about the multiple threads, if you post too many more then maybe we'll consolidate them.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Joe~~

I put up a couple tonight......but I'll not spam the board with them. The response from the members seems to be positive....
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #37
Shooter
Taking it easy!

I have the privilege to know and have known men like Sarge. These types are true selfless hero's who need no bit of thanks for the things they do. They simply do things because it is the right things to do. I enjoy his stories as he has a knack for telling a good tale. It is heartening to see that a man such as he is able to tell these stories. I am sure it must feel nice talking about such things but for now I find reading them is a mighty comforting feeling. Perhaps someday, the Sarge in me might come out, but I could only hope to tell stories, only a fraction as well as he does.

Please continue with them.

Last edited by Shooter; 01-31-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #38
Shooter
Taking it easy!

I would love to read more of his stories if you don't mind getting me the site.
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #39
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

If the "Mods" don't have a problem with it, I don't.
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #40
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

This is a fellow I'm proud to call a friend. Sarge has "Been there and done that" for most of his life. Currently, He's up in Alaska....working on yet another job....but stay's in touch. I guess I'll continue to post his short stories. As to the "Link," well, he & I Moderate an MSN room called "Gunowner," and the folks there post on a variety of topics about firearms, gunsmithing, personal protection, hunting and....well, lots more. Sarge assists me in a Firearms group devoted to our 2nd Rights Amendment. In general, we have lots of fun. Although not all of his stories are there...many are. The bar on the left links you to "Hunting Stories, Military Stories" and lots more. The "General" link is just that....and "Tall Tales" can be found there as well. At the bottom of the page, you can go back to the "Previous 50" and well beyond that, if you like. Anyway, here's the link to that particular site.

http://groups.msn.com/GUNOWNER

(You can join up...if you want to post, or just peruse the threads. We're pretty friendly thereabouts....just like here...)
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #41
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

"Let Mother Nature Take Care Of It..."

From "Sarge"......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let Mother Nature take care of it.

I have listened to anti-hunters, anti-gun people and Walt Disney followers all my life. One of the recuring themes I hear is

"LET MOTHER NATURE TAKE CARE OF THE ANIMALS"

Well I got a chance to see what Mother Nature does when it takes care of animals and I will never forget it as long as I live.

Working for the Colorado Division of Wildlife as a volunteer Hunter Safety Instructor there are many chances to help out by volunteering your services. I volunteered to help the game wardens do a 'winter kill' report.

We were trucked as far as the 4x4's could go and then we strapped on snow shoes and treked up into the mountains. The valleys in the mountains are usually snowed in, even in the spring and early fall and any wildlife that gets caught in there will not be able to get out. We came into this valley and it was a valley of death. A herd of deer and many elk had obviously been in there all winter. Dead carcasses lay everywhere. most were partially eaten by coyotes, lions and bears. All the trees (aspen and cottonwood and pine) were stripped of leaves, bark and branches as high as a elk could reach. The brush and grass was gone and the snow was torn by hoofs searching for grass under it. The snow also was covered with feces and blood from the trapped animals. We set to work counting dead animals, tagging them or marking them with paint if there was not enough of the animal to identify.

I found a doe off to one side. She looked like a skeleton with a deer hide on it. You could see almost everyone of her bones. Her legs were locked and she was still standing. Her tongue was hanging out and it was black. Maggots were dropping out of her mouth. She had cancerous growths on her eyes and she was blind. Sometime before we got there a coyote had bitten her back thigh and a hunk of skin and some meat was missing. But she was not bleeding as her blood pressure was too low. I checked and she was still alive but the heart beat was very slow and she had very little body warmth.

I wanted so badly to pull out my pistol and put that poor pathetic creature out of it's misery but it was not allowed. We were only to count dead animals, not to mess up the count by killing animals. We worked all day in silence, no one felt like laughing or shouting. As the sun was going down and making our valley of death to dark to continue, I went back over to where the doe still stood. I checked for a heart beat and there was none. Gently I laid her down on her side and did my job by putting one more check on the winter kill form on my clip board.

Let Mother nature take care of them.........

How could anyone wish that on the animals?

Sarge the hunter.
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #42
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

All sounds good, especially the Tall Tales. I'll have to check it out. Thanks Laz!
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #43
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

John,
Laz is writing of his friend Sarge and Sarge's stories here..
John,
We have a Prayer List on the Forum.. You should post on that thread so the prayers of all Forum Members may also be directed to you and your family...
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #44
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Did I wander into a NRA website over there by mistake?

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #45
Shooter
Taking it easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfloor
Did I wander into a NRA website over there by mistake?
You make that sound as if it were a bad thing?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase