Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
Uvawkidd

Jack and Jill Bathroom Remodel

Please see the pictures of the window above tub. I am considering using either durock or hydroban board and want to figure out the best way to waterproof this window. the wooden frame around the window that i am pointing at in one of the pictures sits in further than where the 1/2 inch board will attach to the studs. Can this wood frame be removed from the window or does it go all the way through to the outside?

please give me some ideas on how to approach and make this watertight.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi Jon,

I can't quite tell if that window jamb wood framing is an integral part of the window frame or if it's just an add-on jamb extension, but judging by the large gaps between the lower horizontal piece and the left and right verticals I'm inclined to guess they are jamb extensions. Another hint might be found in the wall framing, are those 2X4's or 2X6's?

Even if they are only extensions it's hard to say how they were fastened, but glue is probably involved. If so, removing them could create other problems.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
lochrie22

If its just above a tub and not in a shower where its going to get sprayed with water I don't see why you would need to Waterproof it
Unread 01-24-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
PhilWA

you could also price out a new window. I found that my custom size (nearly 3ft x 3ft) vinyl window with 'safety glass' was only around $250-300. For me, it was worth the extra cost and work; plus I got a shiny new window to go with my shiny new bathroom.
Unread 01-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Uvawkidd

They are 2x4 studs. Outside is brick veneer. This is a tub and a shower. I pulled on the frame a bit and it has give but not sure how it is attached.

What’s the beat way to waterproof if I leave it as is? Previously there was trim around it that met up to the tile, but was hoping to do tile somehow and no trim.

Would like to avoid replacing if possible.

Last edited by Uvawkidd; 01-24-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Uvawkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
Uvawkidd

Any thoughts? I'm lost.
Unread 01-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Jon,

If this were mine, and assuming the window is high enough that it doesn't get any water splashing, I would -

First try to drill pilot holes and run some screws up through the bottom of the horizontal piece into the verticals to close up those gaps. Looks like you might have enough room to do so.

Remove old paint and caulk from the edge of the jamb.

I'd rip some 1X shims and affix them to the edges of those jambs to bring them out flush with the 2X4 framing.

Next, install the wall board up to the top edge of the jamb. I'd want foam board but a CBU would also work.

See the blue line in the pic below. It doesn't look like you have much height to work with from the top of the jamb to the top of that molding. Ideally, I'd want to cut pieces of 1/4" water proof foam board and screw them on around the perimeter, then use a sealant/adhesive, something like Kerdi Fix, and caulk the edges to the molding. Probably want to pre-drill the holes or else risk splitting that jamb.

Follow that up with some water proof membrane, wrapped over the edges.

Tile away.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase