Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2022, 10:34 AM   #31
cx
Moderator emeritus

Travis, I'll try to say this as gently as I can. There is no reasonable way to try to save that shower for the longer term.

Yes, you might patch it up and have it last a while longer, but you have no way of knowing exactly how the shower receptor was constructed or waterproofed (which it's probably not) and you know you have no waterproofing in the walls.

If your goal is to use the shower for a few years while you accumulate money for a proper tear-out and replacement, I can understand that, but not if you'll be spending a significant amount of money doing so.

Could the Eco Prim Grip provide sufficient wanterproofing for a temporary fix? I think probably so, but I believe MAPEI will point out to you that it is not an actual direct bonded waterproofing membrane, (ANSI A118.10), but only a primer.

The decision, of course, is up to you and Mrs. Travis.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2022, 10:38 AM   #32
travisinfla

Justin

hahaha exactly, most people including me think it was simply a tile problem, I never realized how complicated showers were. Showers used to all have tubs, those seem easier. These walk in showers are pretty but seem more prone to problems. But isn't there less of a chance of water penetration on the walls and bench, with 4'x4' giant porcelain tiles - very few grout lines?
On a side note, I tore down my first house guest bath, 8 years ago, the house was built in the 1970's, and what a bitch to remove the shower walls, it was wire lathe and plaster underneath the tile. but that shower was dry as a bone underneath 35 years later. Now that seems like it would have been a great tile on tile base except for the weight.
Unread 01-17-2022, 10:41 AM   #33
jeffnc

I know, what can you do once the house is built? You can do a home inspection, that's about it. Part of the problem is that some trades are coded and some are not. For your electrical and plumbing and structural, they all had to pass inspections before the walls went up. Showers? A drain leak test that's part of the plumbing permit (not even sure if that is required everywhere), and that's about it. It's never going to show long term leaks anywhere else but the drain.

This stuff really has to be caught by the original builder/buyer.
Unread 01-17-2022, 10:44 AM   #34
jeffnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisinfla
What about building out the bench so that 8 inches of it is over the existing shower floor, then waterproofing the bench. Then for walls use Mapei Eco Prim on existing tile and then Aqua Defense on the entire shower walls on top of that. Would that not ensure the water would not seep into the bench and go towards the current shower floor and drain which appears to be sloped properly.
Lots of problems with that. Slope isn't the issue, waterproofing is. If they did that with the bench, there is a near 0% chance they did the rest of the shower expertly. It's a total redo, unless you're willing to accept waiting til it rots out to redo it. Not much point in that unless you are cash-pinched right now. But the bench is already out so now's the time.
Unread 01-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #35
jeffnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisinfla
isn't there less of a chance of water penetration on the walls and bench, with 4'x4' giant porcelain tiles - very few grout lines?
Well yeah you would think so. Tecnically that's true, but the problem is 95% of problems are not behind tiles in the middle of the wall. The vast majority of problems are at the seams and corners, mostly in the bottom 6" of the shower including the floor, and also the niches and benches. The floor normally cannot be made out of large tiles (usually 2" mosaics or so), but even when you can use large tiles (linear drain, etc), again it's the seams and transitions that get you.
Unread 01-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #36
travisinfla

Ok

What is this gray and orange shit, is that some new sort of waterproofing, im leaning towards hiring a pro and dropping 10-15k, f--
Attached Images

Unread 01-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #37
jeffnc

Orange is usually associated with Schluter. I'm guessing the floor is Ditra (closeup please) which is good stuff. I'm guessing the bands on the shower walls are Kerdi Band (also good stuff) but the problem is if you don't built a complete waterproof system with Kerdi, then just covering your seams in cement board is nearly pointless. It's also not structurally sound as my understanding is cement boards should have the seams covered with mesh tape and thinset even for walls. It's probably not as important on walls as on floors which have more stresses, but still.... I doubt Kerdi Band is an approved seam covering material for the manufacturer. Or maybe that is not even cement board, I can't tell from that far away.
Unread 01-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #38
cx
Moderator emeritus

That could be one of the gypsum-based water resistant panels, Travis. I certainly can't tell from way over here. The orange stuff, I would suppose to be some sort of liquid-applied waterproofing material, but that's a guess.

And if those panels are water-resistant, that could potentially provide the necessary wall waterproofing, but only if the edges are properly treated, especially the bottom edges. Difficult to accomplish, even with a properly constructed shower receptor, which you don't likely have.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2022, 11:32 AM   #39
travisinfla

Zoomed In

They Durocked everything vertical and then coated it with this grey stuff, and the seams with the orange stuff.
Attached Images

Unread 01-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #40
jeffnc

I can't see any waffle pattern in the floor so I don't know what that is.
Unread 01-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #41
travisinfla

Other photos

Thanks for all your help.
The first one is the ledge of the shower floor from the perspective of where the bench floor.
The other 2 are obvious.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2022, 08:55 PM   #42
travisinfla

Teardown

I've accepted total redo. The walls are not flat, and bow in the corners, so problems just keep adding up.
I may have made the mistake of creating the shower bench first, can I work around it or should I tear it out.
Attached Images

Unread 01-24-2022, 09:15 PM   #43
jeffnc

I'm confused. If this is a total redo, why are there tiles on the walls? You know the bench has to be waterproofed, right?
Unread 01-24-2022, 10:10 PM   #44
travisinfla

Yeah

Because I was stubborn and thought I would tile over tile on the walls, but after doing the bench, and then seeing the warped walls, I realized these shortcuts are just as much work as tearing it down and doing it right. It's our main shower, its usable right now and I only have weekends to work mostly. If I have to take out the bench so be it, was good masonry practice. Im reading that water proofing down the walls over the bench to the floors and and some that say waterproofing under the bench. The current shower floor, in front of bench, appears to be just mortar bed with drain, and the bench is on its on concrete floor.
Unread 01-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #45
jeffnc

You want to waterproof over that bench. Of course you have to tie it in correctly with the sides and bottom and all corners have to be covered. If you are taking off the wall tile, then you can't do those seams until that tile is gone. I say "tie it in" but I think in terms of a membrane like Kerdi. If you're using paint-on type product, I don't have experience with that, it might be easier. But I don't recommend trying to use the shower and build the shower at the same time, if that's what you mean.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase