Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
mvgossman

Garage floor tile and wall wainscot question

I just had my garage floor improved (floor drains, sloped, new concrete) and was planning on proceeding to polymethylmethacrylate speckled flake coating (similar to epoxy but more durable). I was then going to make a spring project out of putting some sort of wainscoting on the wall up to approx 3 feet. Currently it's drywall so it gets damage with the periodic pressure washer cleanup.

Questions:

1. Should I reconsider and go with a tile floor? I worry about dirty grout lines, general cleanability, cost, and cracking with the cars especially since this is a Spancrete floor with another garage underneath (workshop actually) so I have no doubt it flexes considerably when the cars are driven in.

2. I had in mind a subway tile or other relatively inexpensive wall tile with some sort of transition to the garage floor to be sealable with a bead of silicone. Any other great ideas in terms of water sealing that transition, type of tile edge to the floor, need for cement board underneath, and type of tile? I see another user was proposing to go with the subway tile.

Thanks!
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Mitch,

Welcome to the forum.

1- I dunno. Bob should be back shortly. I'll defer to his wisdom.

2- How much water we talking about? If there will be a mop soaked in water or a hose / pressure washer used in the garage I'd consider using a surface membrane over the bottom few feet of the walls and tying that into the floor. The epoxy floor should work nicely with a decent bead of silicone to the wall tile as you planned. Be sure to leave at least a 1/8" gap from the floor to the bottom of the wall tile for that bead of silicone.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Welcome Mitch.

Regarding whether to tile that floor, well, it depends on whether the floor was designed to support the loads you're putting on it. It may flex, but for a tile floor to stay together it's got to deflect no more than L/360. That's 1/360th of the concrete span. This is most definitely an engineering question which you'll need to investigate on your own. You have any engineer buddies who owe you a favor?

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
bbcamp

1) If your coating will withstand hot tires and brake fluid spills, I'd use it instead of tile. I think I would rather live with a coating than deal with the tile issues you raised in addition to potential chips from dropped tools.

2) I agree with waterproofing the wall to floor joint. I think that most liquid membranes would do an adequate job protecting the drywall, especially if there is a caulked gap at the bottom. I don't think you would need anything as involved as a shower, though.

I'm assuming that you don't pressure wash the garage more than a couple of times each year. If you do, come to my house and I'll let you do mine so yours can dry out.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase