Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
cmilot6329

Filling cracks before Mapei Mapelastic CI

Hey everyone,

Getting our master bedroom ready to be tiled next Monday. The house is on a concrete slab. There are 2 cracks that run the length of the room that are 1/16" to 1/8". The cracks are in plane with each other so hoping this should be fine. The house is 20 years old.

Was planning on putting down Mapei Mapelastic CI but the instructions say to fill the cracks first. Was looking for some recommendations on what to use to fill the cracks as it doesn't specify. I have some Quikrete Vinyl Concrete patch but it says for cracks 1/8 to 1/2. Some of the crack is less than 1/8 so wasn't sure if that would be ok or if someone recommends something else.

Thanks!
Unread 01-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #2
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

My advice - don't start until you have some [USA based materials & methods] specific advice from here! Not going to be as easy as just filling a crack sorry to say !

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
MAPEItyler

cmilot6329,

You can fill it with mortar or patching compound. Either will perform well. Just make sure it is filled, smoothed out and cured before application of the membrane.

productsupport@mapei
800-992-6273
http://www.mapei.com/US-EN
MAPEItyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

That Quikrete material is suitable for your application. Force it into the cracks to the extent possible. I think you'll find you can get it into cracks substantially smaller than 1/8th of an inch. If not, you might try one of their other patching products, such as the Concrete Patching Compound. If I recall correctly, that one goes on in a very fluid consistency.

If the crack is actually too narrow to force the patching material into, it's probably sufficiently narrow for the Mapelastic CI to bridge across. MAPEI recommends filling all gaps greater than 1/32nd of an inch. Smaller than that, they expect the product to bridge across.

Keep in mind that you are not repairing anything, you are simply filling the gap so the Mapelastic CI can bridge over it.

Not sure just what Colin's concerns are in your application. Perhaps he'll expand upon that a bit.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
cmilot6329

Thank you! I'll go ahead and use what I got here for the cracks and a few of the larger divots from the carpet tack strips. I'll do that today and then on Sunday put down the Mapelastic CI. Hopefully that's enough time for it.

Yes I realize it's just meant to bridge the gap for the Mapelastic CI and not actually repairing the cracks.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Thanks DX for your post. Yup I will say I double checked on the CI product and I am behind on that one - it is the same as another rubberised product I used in this way about 20 years ago, so I'm glad Mapei caught up !

I just wanted to advise caution and to ensure a separation method of some sort was used.

I did defer to you US guys as you see, but we are all on the same page now and it looks good to tile.

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase