Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Skyace777

Handling Control Joints for Long Plank Tiles with Ditra Over Concrete

Hi All,

Planning to retile my house and looking for some guidance. Approximately 1,500 square feet over a concrete slab. See attached floorplan showing sawed control joints in green and a small crack in blue.

Tile is a thin 8x80 wood-look plank. https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcel...100555572.html

This is my current plan:

- Install Ditra over concrete. Use Kerdi-band strips for kitchen, laundry and bathroom. Kerdi-flex for seams over control joints

- Install tile over Ditra with no more than 1/4 offset and 1/8" grout lines. 1/4" outer perimeter border everywhere.

My current challenge is figuring out how to best handle the control joints without disrupting the aesthetics of the install. Tile will be laid front to back of house. Planning to use Dilex movement joints for all door thresholds. Vertical control joints can be easily accommodated but what about the horizontal ones (specifically the ones in the great room, foyer and laundry room)? Can I just use caulk/sealant in the closest staggered joints? Any other suggestions? Also for the control joints and the small crack line does it make sense to fill them with a polyurea filler? Something like https://www.ardexamericas.com/produc...l-rapid-plus/?

I've looked over the Ditra Handbook several times but I'm still not clear how to proceed given it's a long plank tile with an installation offset and not a traditional square or rectangular tile.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Unread 03-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

First of all, Ditra isn't an anti-fracture membrane but. I'd use an anti-fracture membrane over the whole slab and then cut the tiles directly over the control joints and fill that joint with matching silicone.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase