Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
MP5N

Transparent tile thin-set question

I'm starting a kitchen backsplash and have a question on thin-set. The tile is from Oceanside Glass and Tile. It has transparent sections, is paperbacked with rectangular pieces 1" x 3" in a mosaic pattern. The substrate is sheetrock with white primer. I'm using white TEC Superflex as recommended by Oceanside.

I started in a small area to get myself back in the game since it's been a while. I mixed up a batch of thin-set as the directions state. I used a 3/16 V notch trowel and flattened out the peaks and had a nice uniform flat surface. After setting the tile I noticed the thin-set has a light gray appearance behind the transparent tiles. It' been 2 days since I laid the first section and it does appear as though the gray it turning white at the edges. I'm assuming with time the moisture will work its way out and we'll have the tile we saw in the sample.

Am I reading this correctly, or do I need to change up what I'm doing? I'm at a point where I can remove what I have and start over if needed. I did find a post during a search where it's recommended to use a thin-set which mixes white. What I used mixed light gray. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
MP5N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

In my experience, what it looks like in the bag will be very close to how it looks after mixed and dry. Several of the glass specific mortars I've used are really white, much more so that regular white thinset.

Since you're viewing what you've done so far it as an experiment, I'd say mix a little grout and judge then or make a sample board.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
MP5N

In the bag it looks pretty white. I'm just running a bit cautious at this point. The last thing I want is to get this up and it's not what we expected.

The instructions from Oceanside also recommend a few others:

• ARDEX: X77 Tile & Stone Mortar
• BOSTIK: Glass-Mate mixed with 425 Admixture*
• CUSTOM BUILDING PRODUCTS: Glass Tile Premium Thin-Set *
• LATICRETE: Glass Tile Adhesive *
• MAPEI: Adesilex P10 Bright White Thin-Set Mortar mixed with Keraply Mortar Additive *
• TEC SPECIALTY PRODUCTS: Super Flex Thin-Set Mortar

* Bright White

Anyone have a preference?

Thanks again,
Dave
Unread 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used the Customs premium glass thinset. I could only find it at Home Depot in small boxes. Dal Tile didn't even have it in stock. I'm not saying it's better than the others on your list, it did stick well and best I remember it was bright white without a gray cast.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #5
jerrymlr1

So Dave, I know exactly what you're talking about. I used the white TEC on some transparent tile once and unfortunately they were different lots. I didn't think anything of it until I opened the bags and noticed that they looked more cream colored than white. The lots also looked different from one another. I ended up getting it all replaced with bags of the same lot but never used it again. Custom's MegaLite is pretty much my go to if I am doing direct thinset method.
I also had some Oceanside tile that was so dirty on the back that I had to wash every single sheet, 1200 feet total. I have pictures of the process and the dirty water buckets. If someone ever asks for a price on installing Oceanside it will be double. I had other issues with them that I won't go into.
I would say if you can find some Custom MegaLite use it. It's non-sag, pure white, and will be stuck well on down the road. I have used everything on that list of yours cep for the Mapei P10. I'm not a fan of thinsets that require separate additives.
Unread 03-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
MP5N

Thanks Peter, Jerry & Davy. I took a good look at what I had and said screw it. Just finished pulling it all off. I only had 8 sq ft up. Didn't want to take a chance on it not turning out. Funny thing is I set the tile Saturday night and when I took it off most of the thin-set was still wet underneath. I didn't go too heavy, maybe 1/16-3/32 thick. I figured it would have setup more than that by now. The house stays around 68 deg all day, so temp shouldn't have been an issue.

The tile cleaned up pretty well in a bucket of water. I have a good bit of extra, so maybe this will end up in the extra pile and I won't have to mess with it. Might just use this behind the stove where no one will ever see it.

I'm stopping by HD tomorrow and picking up some Custom bright white thin-set. I'm going to do a test board to make sure this works before I go this deep.

Thanks to all for your council.

Best regards,
Dave
Unread 03-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
smifwal

I skimmed though ,but do you have access to Ardex products? The X77 seems a little bit of over kill in my opinion and about$20/bag more than their X5 white. I am a Ardex guy, I get great results with their products and I have a good working relationship with my rep. I need something, I call him, he makes it happen

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase