Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-01-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
Sparks98

Send a message via AIM to Sparks98
better grout brands?

I am about to grout the tumbled marble in my new shower. I purchased a bag of grout from Tec and the color pefectly matches a complete other color that they make (test piece) and not the color specified on the bag. Custom's colors match, but it was pure hell getting in off the glazed tile in the kitchen. Is there a good choice you pros use that cleans up well?
Sparks98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #2
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

I think all the portland grouts are about the same quality. The mis-labelling happens sometimes unfortumately I've seen it happen every once in a while.

You might take a look at C-Cure's "Cure Perfect" grout.

They supply you with a white powder either sanded or unsanded and a liquid colorant. The color is in the colorant and you DON'T USE WATER in the mix. It's a good product but a little pricey.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 01:05 AM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I use Hydroment almost exclusivly,although i do use mapei's wall grout on occassion.
I never use tec products anymore.Back when it was HB fuller company the products were pretty good.they seem to have cheapened the product considerably in my opinion.
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 07:37 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sparks,

Custom is as good as any. It's the technique, not the product.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:15 AM   #5
Sparks98

Send a message via AIM to Sparks98
The directions on the back of Custom's bags differ from color to color. I did EXACTLY as they said and had hell to pay. If you notice, there are always new members posting about the hell-like experience on this very board. I'd bet there following instructions on the back of a Custom bag. Mine said that after application and rubber floating off the excess to wait 45 minutes, then buff off the dried residue with cotton rag. The tile was glazed, so being my first tile-job, I didn't know to preseal it. After all said and done, the job looks good and the grout does appear to be of very high quality after completely cured.
Sparks98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2002, 04:45 PM   #6
Bud Cline

John...

Have you noticed that most all of the cpomplaints we hear about grout is about Custom's grout?

There is no way you can wait forty-five minutes then use a wrag to finish a grout job day in and day out job in and job out without a whole lot of grief. All job conditions are different and job conditions have a direct effect on the grouting process.

Unread 12-02-2002, 05:05 PM   #7
dswallow

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
One might also think that you hear more grout complaints about Custom's products because more people use Custom's products since they're readily available you-know-where. It might not really be that there's a higher percentage of complaints.
Unread 12-02-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
Bud Cline

Possible........I think John uses Custom grouts daily and likes them, while on the other hand I had repeat problems with Custom's grouts and swore off of the product years ago. That doesn't mean there aren't problems with grouts of all manufacturers from time to time. Just seems like Custom is mentioned more here than any other when problems develope and maybe for the reason you suggest.
Unread 12-03-2002, 12:12 AM   #9
Rob VA

Any comments on the laticrete 1500 grout? They have a color that matches my job perfectly.
Rob VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 12:41 AM   #10
JTG

I like Custom grout also.
I install a lot of tile for Lowe's and use the Mapei products for those installations and it is ok. I don't like the unsanded grouts from Mapei because they don't stick to the float when doing walls.

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 05:55 AM   #11
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

I beg to differ on mapei s wall grout.I Regrouted an entire olympic pool 2 years ago and used mapei white wall with absolutly no problems.It does not however clean up quite as nice as hydroments white wall.

Custums grouts may be available in the big orange boxes,But only a small percentage of large Tile contractors use thier product.
Of course alot of us mix our own on large jobs also.
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase