Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
srii

Large format porcelain over Durock memberane?

Hello All,

Been lurking here for a while reading up on curbless showers and waterproofing systems. I just want to check on a few things to make sure I have it all down.

Will be using large format porcelain slabs, Maxfine for the shower walls. My GC will use Hardibackers and I've decided on Durock waterproof membrane (seems like many people on here like the ease of use). I checked with my porcelain fabricator and he said that they use Laticrete called 4-XLT designed for large format porcelain (slab will be 5x8' for one wall and 3x8' for the other). Is this Laticrete compatible with Durock membrane?

Will someone recommend a good online source for Kerdi drains and Durock waterproof system?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by srii; 04-01-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Edited to ask for online source
srii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The XLT is just fine for your job.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
srii

Thank you Laz!

Anyone with recs for an online source with good prices on Kerdi and Durock?
Unread 04-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Any decent building retailer (or Home Depot) should have the Durock. I generally get my Kerdi at Dal Tile.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Kman

Amazon for the materials.

And I definitely would not use Hardibacker as the substrate for the membrane. It draws the moisture out of the mortar very quickly, making it difficult to get the membrane up before the mortar skins over.

Standard Durock cement board would be a better choice.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
srii

Thank you again Laz.

Kman, do you recommend Durock boards as well?
Unread 04-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman, Post 5
Standard Durock cement board would be a better choice.
I believe he does, QP.

I would also recommend the Durock CBU rather than the Hardiebacker.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
srii

My bad Kman. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Apparently, I need to eat more carrots for my eyes. Thanks for pointing that out CX. I enjoy and learn so much from your posts as a consumer. People like yourself, Kman and Laz who readily share your knowledge and experiences are an asset to this community. Keep up your wonderful posts gentleman.
Unread 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
usedsoup

I am also building with the Durock system and I bought it from Tom Duffy flooring supplies. I was really surprised by the price I got from them. $90 less than Amazon was charging.
If you have a Tom Duffy near you give them a call.

Sent from my N9136 using Tapatalk
Unread 04-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
srii

Thanks usedsoup but unfortunately they are not in TX. Looks like some great prices there.
Unread 06-22-2019, 12:20 AM   #11
srii

My contractor is getting ready to cut into the cement slab, removing 2" deep to build a deck mud for the curbless shower. We will have large format porcelain for the shower walls. Please critique this plan and excuse my layman's talk.

1) To accomodate the thickness of the Durock boards and porcelain slabs, he will make the cut about 1" away from the studs. Durock boards and large format porcelain will sit on this 1" ledge and essentially deck mud will be about 1" away from the studs. Forum pros, does this sound right? Durock boards and tiles should not be buried in deck mud?

2) The bathroom is small, 10'x7', with an 8' ceiling height. The shower area will be 5'x3' in an L shape. A porcelain slab will be 5'x8'high for one wall and 3'x8'high the other wall. The porcelain fabricator wants to come in after durock and membrane have been installed but before we sheet rock the rest of the room - to have more space to maneuver those slabs.

3) Kerdi drain and deck mud after wall porcelain installation, waterproof deck mud and the rest of the floor with Durock membrane (wet room).

4) Tile the shower floor and the rest of the floor. There should be no grout where floor tiles meet the porcelain wall? - only use silicone?

I have not had a chance to talk to frameless glass people but my understanding is that the floor membrane cannot be punctured for glass installation. Wall membrane can be pierced for glass clamps but fill the holes and screws with silicone? What are my options here for the floor? I wanted understand the proper installation method to hire the right glass pros.

To confirm the all the layers from the cement slab going up:
- cement slab
- thin set - What do you recommend? I've read Versabond and Flexbond? Is there a specific Versabond, Flexbond, etc. that you prefer?
- deck mud
- same thin set as above
- Durock membrane
- whatever mortar the tile setters use - or can he use the same thin set as -above?
- tile

Thank you for making it this far!
Unread 06-22-2019, 02:15 AM   #12
Kman

Is there going to be a centered drain or a line drain?

The reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if the deck mud will slope directly from the cut edge of the slab and slope toward the drain, or will there be some areas with a slight drop-off from concrete to deck mud?

If it's the latter, then a sheet membrane might be difficult to use in that application.

At any rate, I wouldn't leave a ledge of any significance there, as it's likely to result is water lingering there.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I'm not familiar with using large sheet tiles like this but I have a problem with your wall membrane not tying in above the floor membrane and being one continuous layer. I don't see how you can put those wall tiles on before you do the floor mud bed and seal everything, especially the floor wall junction, in one continuous waterproof layer. I think it would help you if you draw a cross section of the wall to floor junction and tell us about your drain and slope.
Unread 06-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #14
srii

Good morning Kman
It's a centered drain. He did say that the tile will partially sit on the ledge. From this, I'm assuming it will sit partially on deck mud as well and the slope will start from the cut edge.

Are you recommending that we should cut the slab right at the studs, slope deck mud, have both Durock boards and tile sit on deck mud?

I see so many new showers using large tiles, how are these showers being constructed with membrane waterproofing to accommodate large tiles? I haven't been able to find a thread on here specifically about this; hence, all these questions to verify the logistics.

Good morning Elkski
I realized this as soon as I woke up this morning. To revise, we will set the Kerdi drain, deck mud and completely membrane waterproof the shower BEFORE wall porcelain installation. This bathroom will be a wet room so should we finish applying the membrane to the rest of the room before tile installation also? I'm just afraid the floor membrane will be damaged.

Appreciate your inputs Kman and Elkski.

Last edited by srii; 06-23-2019 at 05:53 PM.
srii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I'm assuming the cement saw line one inch away from the framing is because of Saw clearance issues more than any design idea. So you are using deck mud. I'm sure the wall tile guys want to do their tile first that means your floor needs to butt up against that. I just drew a quick cross section for you as a starting point for everyone to comment on.
I put 1/2" minimum mud thickness. But others may like closer to 1" or not care?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase