Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
white_wulff

New Concrete on Old Concrete then Tile?

Hello Everyone, this is my first post.

I am finishing my basement have an area coming into my basement that I would like to tile or finish with something that will take muddy boots well (I hate vinyl sorry).

The existing basement floor is concrete, it is partially painted and there are other things like misc stains (that are not going to come out) and also a section where there were vinyl tiles stuck to the floor but then lifted but there is a little bit of gluey residue in some places.

I had initially thought about using some backer board and blasting it in with a .22 driver but the concrete is so damn hard (it is 30 years old) that the nails just bend up and I burn out bits for tapcons too quick.

So, what I thought I'd do is pour 1.5" of new concrete over the old painted stained stuff (I have the headroom) and then put the tile on that, or maybe even just finish that concrete.

What I'm wondering is will that mini slab be ok. I mean, it might not bond everywhere, but it's not going to slide around or anything either :-) Could crack I suppose.

Anyone have any experience or advice for this type of procedure?

Thanks!
Dave
Unread 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yes, concrete that thin would probably crack,even supported by a slab.Why not prep your slab by scarifying it with a rented tool from HD and then save the headroom.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dave.

What Stoner said.

But if you really don't wanna try to re-surface the floor sufficiently for tile, you could add a minimum of 1 1/4" of deck mud with reinforcing wire mesh in the center and have you a very flat, very level, very compatible surface for your tile installation. You'd need to put a cleavage membrane of roofing felt or poly sheeting over the slab before the mud.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
white_wulff

Thanks

Thanks for the information, I'll look into both approaches.

Dave

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase