Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
dlamontm98

Staining Saltillo

I went and did an estimate today on some Saltillo flooring. Apparently, back in 1992 the homeowner stained the saltillo a walnut color. Since then the stain has come up in some areas. Showing the true color of the floor. The customer wants the the true color to show or to possibly re-stain it again. I'm not sure, but in this case--I think meth cloride is needed in this case, because it looks like it was coated with an polyurethanr or epoxy seal.

Is there a such thing now as staining saltillo--maybe it was in 1992, but in 2004. If so, please let me know what company provides these stains.
dlamontm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I,ve seen guys use wood stain but it soaks up fast,and you could probably never duplicate what she has,I don,t know about the stripping.
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Hi ya Derek!

Sounds like a wash to me. Sounds like a topical seal that was tinted, due to the wear. Walnut? Try Burnt Umber and/or Raw Sienna universal liquid colorants in your finish. Proline (from Behr…I think) available at some Home Depots and specialty paint/art stores. They carry it in 16 oz bottles. Add no more than a few ounces per gallon of finish, or it’ll streak something fierce. Apply with a fine push broom.

Don’t go for all your color in one shot…you’ll have to build and feather it to match the existing color. Topcoat with at least two coats of plain finish after you achieve your desired color.

Do a good deep scrub first. If you remove any more color you know how to get it back now. This should give you a good base to seal over, but if not, you (they) will have to opt for a full strip and color wash.

"There are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas Edison
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 06:58 AM   #4
dlamontm98

Thanks for the information--maybe we can do lunch (kemguru)

It seems this process is very detail, in which I am not too familiar with. I'm into deep scrubbing, stripping, recoating, etc..I may have to pass this opportunity up. I hate to turn away jobs, but I don't want to risk my reputation of doing excellent work either---to important especially being a small business right now.

Note: kemguru--maybe we can do lunch sometime. I am coming up to your area May 3rd thru the 7th for a hardwood floor sanding and refinishing course in Aurora, CO. Apparrently, there are a lot of homes converting from carpet to hardwoods. In fact, I have been asked by serveral folks - "Do you do hardwood floors?" So, I found a school that teaches you from beginner to expert level--of course there will be some bumps and bruises along the way to expert level. (practice makes perfect)
dlamontm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Don't know about in the eighties, but in the seventies it was commonplace to use wood stains (oil base). The tile were sealed with a penetrating sealer before the stain went on. That's what keeps it near the surface and allows for refinishing.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
gailp

Staining Saltillo

We are purchasing a home that has Saltillo tile installed about 20 years ago. It was stained a light peach color, and sealed. I would like to have it re-stained, and have found a product made by aqua mix , which is called piso blanco. I am trying to get the tile to a whiter color. How do I determine what type of sealer is on it, and then what I use to strip the sealer off? Following that, using this product (or any ohter you can suggest) will it become a lighter white-ish color?
Please note that unfortunately,there are places that the tiles have hairline cracks, and the prior owner chair legs scraped the floor leaving deep scratches. In these places it seems that the original terra cotta color are coming throuhgh. Additionally there are places that have chips in the tile. Is there anything I can do to imporve the surface?
gailp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
fernfandango

Question

I am trying to match Saltillo tile that was installed around 1971-72. It is satined a dark walnut brown and sealed with an extremely durable gloss sealer.
The Aqua Mix Aqua Stain in Spanish Oak is a perfect match and I would like to use Sparks Stone Glamour followed by Mex Seal (since that is what I believe may have been used originally) and was wondering if anyone has used this combination of sealer and stain with success. The sealer manufacturer is recommending that the tile be stained first.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase