Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Red Raider

Blake's Outside Corner Tile

Howdy folks,

I am renovating my bathroom and I'm doing a lot of things for the first time - just figuring it out as I go. I am about to start tiling the tub surround using 9 x 12 ceramic tiles. I'm not sure how I should do the outside corner joint on the "step" above the tub. I thought I might just bring the tiles to the corner (as pictured) and then just grout it and flatten the joint (kinda creating a 45 degree joint) but I don't know if that is ok or not a good idea. Bull nose is not an option. I'm trying to keep it simple but still want it to look right.

Secondly, I'm going to end up with a larger gap than desired between the bottom of the tiles and the tub - a good half inch. I know that some of that gap will be taken up with silicone caulk but how should I address this issue?

PS. My pic loaded side ways for some reason; sorry about that!

Thanks!
Blake
Attached Images

Red Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
RipRap

Since you haven't tiled it yet, why are you - "going to end up with a larger gap than desired between the bottom of the tiles and the tub - a good half inch" ?

Change your layout to fix this problem, there is no other solution. A half inch caulk gap is just a big mess.

there are many ways to tile that corner, you could pay a tile shop to bullnose your tile, find a complementary bullnose that would work, get a metal edge piece to put between, miter the edges,...

the easiest would be to find a bulnose that looks OK or a schluter edge trim.

Just filling the gap with grout will look cheesy IMO. If I was going that route I would overlap the outside over the inside piece and then have a smaller mare normal grout line (same as you would do with a bullnose) - the edge of your tile might not look too awful.
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Red Raider

Quote:
Since you haven't tiled it yet, why are you - "going to end up with a larger gap than desired between the bottom of the tiles and the tub - a good half inch."
Well, yeah but we just wanted the tiles oriented horizontally and not vertically. So, going vertical layout would solve the problem but was trying to find a way to keep horizontal and still solve the gap issue. But sounds like I'm SOL on that.
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
RipRap

If you can't slide it all down a bit - how about adding an accent line somewhere in the middle to take up some space - then you can cut it to fit at the bottom.

everyone loves an accent line...

if not, slide it down a about 1/2 a tile, then cut the top to fit. it will cost you an extra row of tiles, but that is the right way to do it - i' assuming the issue is trying to fill between the tub and the ceiling?
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Red Raider

In other words make two rows of partial or cut tiles, right?
Unread 09-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
RipRap

Yep, 2 rows that add up to the just over 1 tile you need.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Red Raider

Sorry for the delay but thank you Kevin (RipRap) for your helpful advice! I haven't put up the tile yet but have it cut. Thanks again!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase