Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
SCPDX

Out of Plumb Studs and Liquid Nails

I am doing a small bathroom remodel - tore out the old fiberglass shower insert, sheet rock down to studs and old tile floor.

The studs are a bit out of plumb - not terrible but need some work before the cement backer boards. My plan was to just nail new straight 2x4s on to the exists studs.

But I was talking to a tile shop and the guy said that an easier method is to put a couple of big beads of Liquid Nails on the studs, push the backer board up into the Liquid Nails. Square/flatten everything up and lightly install a few screws. Let dry. Then come back and properly screw everything down. The Liquid Nails will serve as quick, easy shims when hard. Need to wait until it dries or the screws will just squeeze out the Liquid Nails and follow the out of plumb studs.

Yes? No? Maybe? Other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
CaliGrown

I wouldn’t do that, voids between your backer board and wood framing is a bad way to start out. Go buy some furring strips/drywall shims to flatten/plumb the studs. For the real wonky studs sister on some dimensional lumber to make things true.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
rmckee84

I get where Chris is coming from, but as long as you get full contact it will probably be ok. Many of the foam board manufacturers have approved what is called wet shimming. Typically it is done with a modified thinset though. Like I said it will probably work but I'm not sure that liquid nail would be the best product to use.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
lati_cz
michal

liquid nail is quite liquidy, I'd be worry it'll run down....
Old 02-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

And it skins over rapidly

And it gets soft with age and dampness

If anything, PL premium is preferred.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Redlands Okie

Out of Plumb Studs and Liquid Nails

PL premium is a good product. I personally try to avoid liquid nail products in general. Sure they make some that are fine but its not worth the hassle to learn the hard way. Product lines are out there such as loctite that are better for the same price.

Liquid shiming works if your careful.
Wood or plastic shims are fast work for minor issues, bit slower for larger issues. I often apply adhesive to the shims to hold them in place and reduced the number of fasteners needed.
Adhesive bead and shims both can beat a trip to the lumber yard or hauling the lumber from the lumberyard and into the job site location. Less chance of damage elsewhere in the home.
Screw heads every 4 or 6 inches that are set on plane to keep your backer board straight then adhesive applies works great but can also be slow.
New straight stud installed next to the old crooked one provides hard to beat results. Once you have them hauled into the room your working on.

Last edited by Redlands Okie; 02-17-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Redlands Okie is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase