Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
jtaylor1975

Wall prep after tile removal

I'm sure this has been answered a million times but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so here you go again

I have a bathroom in an OLD house that has (had) those lovely plastic tiles on the walls. I'm currently in the process of removing the tile and whatever the heck the stuff is they put them on the wall with using a heat gun. These are just the regular walls in the bathroom, not the walls surrounding the bath (which I'm sure will be another nightmare in and of itself as it has a poorly installed plastic surround).

ANYWAY. My walls are plaster lathe. As stated, I'm removing the adhesive at the moment and am wondering what I will need to do to get the walls ready for new ceramic tile after I'm done with that. Knocking out the walls and replacing them isn't really feasible and neither is adding 1/4" drywall as this is only the bottom half of the walls and that seems a bit excessive to me AND this is the only bath in the house and I can't really have it out of commission for an extended period of time. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Jenny.

It may be as simple as installing tile over the substrate your left with if it’s clean and flat enough. Can you share a picture with us? You can use the little paperclip icon above the dialog box to add a photo or two.

And it’s probably a good idea to ask what your plan for the tub surround is, as that’s typically installed before the tile outside the tub area. If you work backwards, you might be creating extra troubles for yourself.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
jtaylor1975

Ok. Think I may have got the picture attached. This is the wall I'm currently working on. I'm just wondering if I'm going to have to skim coat or sand or anything before I can put the tile on.

The plastic surround on the tub doesn't touch anywhere there is existing tile (that I can see, Lord only knows what's under it). The wall in the picture is the "back" wall when you look into the bathroom. The wall to the left is also tiled as well as a small area between the door and the wall to the left. The tub is to the right, immediately behind the door, and it and the linen cabinet (which you can see in the pic) are all that are on that wall. So they are basically two completely separate areas.

That stuff you see toward the bottom is the crud I am removing. I do plan on trying to use some kind of remover to get the little bits that remain after using the heat gun to remove the majority.
Attached Images

Last edited by jtaylor1975; 01-23-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added content
jtaylor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
jtaylor1975

More surprises

So, as I have seen mentioned somewhere it's par for the norm, but it turns out where the last two courses of tile were closest to the floor are cement. I guess I'm gonna try to use a remover there too and see what I can get off. Will I need to do any special prep for this area?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
jtaylor1975

Question

Well...no advice so far...here are pics of the walls after I've got as much stuff off as I could. There was some plaster damage behind the vanity and some drywall behind the toilet so I think I am just going to skim coat the entire thing after I patch the plaster damage. Question now is: Should I use Red Guard behind the toilet and vanity? And if so, what do I use to install the tile? Mastic?
I will be installing 3x6 subways with a glass mosaic near the top, finishing with bullnose. Since this is my first tiling project I'm going to use the regular walls as my "practice" so I know what I'm doing when I get to the tub surround. As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
smifwal

You don't need redgaurd outside of your wet area and mastic is expensive when compared to a bag of thinset mortar. You want white thinset behind the glass. You need to do some good measuring and marking to make sure you don't run into slivers when you get in to the tub area as tool guy mentioned. You are going to want some form of water proofing in the tub surround and you can't use mastic in a wet area. I like to lay tiles on the floor with the spacers in between and get a solid measurement to mark on the wall so I can see where the tiles will fall and a just accordingly. Hope this helps
Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
jtaylor1975

Shawn!

Thanks for the answers! I asked about the Redgard behind the sink and toilet cause I was worried about the potential for water damage there but I'll take your word that I won't need it. I didn't think I did but wanted to make sure.

I do plan on checking, re-checking, and triple checking my layout. I think I'm gonna go with the 1/2 layout but haven't made my mind up yet.

I haven't even touched the tub surround yet...really scared to find out what is behind that poorly installed plastic surround. I do plan on using Redgard there.

Am I over thinking things? Am worried I might be, but I want to make sure I do this right the first time. I'll probably be a complete spazz when I get to the floors!

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
smifwal

You could always put some redgaurd from where the sink is 1 foot on each side and up from the sink to wherever your mirror would be if you were that concerned but behind the toilet I wouldn't worry about that area seeing much water. Since you mentioned doing the floors you also should consider redgaurd 2-3 feet in front of the tub. Also ideally you would want the floor tile under the wall tile so you need to take that in to account when marking lines. The thickness of the mortar under the backer board, the backer board itself, thinset under the tile, the tile itself,and a grout joint. It would be much easier if you did the floor first
Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
jtaylor1975

I have read that you should do the walls down to the last couple courses above the floor, then the floor, then finish the walls...to keep from dripping on or damaging the floors while working on the walls...
Old 02-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
jtaylor1975

Jenny's Bathroom Project

Hi all!

Thanks for the help with all my wall issues. I *think* I have that mostly figured out and will be working on that this weekend. I decided to open a new post where I can put all my questions as they come up since I *really* want to get this done right.

Moving on to the floor. Deflecto gave me an L867 using 2" wide joists with a 10' unsupported span. Wasn't sure how to measure the "on center" for the spacing but the measurement of the joist space itself was 17" so I used the 19.2 option. I have 1" deep planks, not tongue and groove, set perpendicular to the joists.

However, I will be having to replace a roughly 3'x4' area from under the toilet to the old vent (just figured to replace the whole area instead of patches). Plan on using 1" ply (or whatever is recommended here) for that. It will go over two joists on the 4' side. How much will this affect the deflection?

Also, am wondering what to use for laying the tile. Plan on using 12x24 ceramic or porcelain. Haven't found *quite* the right tile. Am tiling a 50"x80" area. Will 1/4" ply be enough since I have such a good deflection? Floor height is a concern, have laminate in the hall just outside. I also plan on using PROVA Flex® 1/8" Thick Tile Underlayment (unless something else is recommended) also. Might put some RedGard or something similar around the toilet also to prevent any more floor damage there...

I'm putting some pictures up since I know you guys love them: one of where the floor will be replaced, one of a joist, and one shot under the floor. If there's something specific you want to see just let me know!
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
Obo2

i know at least with ditra they require a minimum 1/2" ply over plank subfloor.

The deflection rating you got is for your joists not your subfloor.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
jtaylor1975

Thanks for the clarification on the deflection Nick. It's all a little confusing to a newbie. I've been lurking and reading as much as I can but some things still elude me. The installation instructions for the Prova Flex don't indicate a minimum thickness for plywood but I can definitely look into it!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
jtaylor1975

So I went to the manufacturer's website for the Provex and it said that subfloor underneath should be 3/4". Does that mean the depth of the whole floor or the underlayment?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #14
rmckee84

Usually that means that a single layer of your subfloor should be 3/4" of ply.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
jtaylor1975

Thanks Ryan! Does the type of plywood matter? I kinda need to buy smaller panels because a) I don't have a truck to transport them and b) the area is small so I figure instead of trying to cut everything out of one panel (which is what I would have to do with a 4x8) I would buy some smaller pieces (4x4 and/or 2x4) so that getting them home and making my cutouts for piping easier.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase