Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #16
gyouska

choosing thinset

Hi everyone just like the description says. I am having difficulty in picking the proper thinset for my job. There are so many different bags of this or that, modified, unmodified, brands, ect. I am using 6x36 porcelain wood plank tiles. I have 500 sqft and I will be using ditra for my under layment. I understand that I need to use thinset to glue the ditra down. Do I use the same thinset that I stick my tiles with or is that a different bag too?
Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
tatumjonj

Modified if you're laying ditra over plywood subfloor, otherwise unmodified. Unmodified for bonding tile to ditra.

That's the manufacturer's recommendation.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
gyouska

I was under the impression that you are suppose to use modified with porcelain tile
Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Millions of SF of porcelain have been laid with non modified.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #20
gyouska

what exactly is the difference anyway? can you reccomend a good brand and a good cheap bag that will suit my purpose?
Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
Redlands Okie

choosing thinset

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumjonj View Post
Modified if you're laying ditra over plywood subfloor, otherwise unmodified. Unmodified for bonding tile to ditra.

That's the manufacturer's recommendation.

The thing to notice here is “manufacture’s recommendation”
Every package of ditra I have seen sold out of a box store has the instruction in side the package to apply it.

Plywood under ditra absorbs water and so need modified to go under ditra. Most other surfaces do not absorb much water so you use unmodified under ditra.

Also keep in mind that on top of the ditra water is not absorbed into the ditra and that affects how thinset bonds to the tiles.

Schluter makes a product called ALL SET and you can use that one product to do both jobs and still meet schluter specs. It’s couple more dollars per bag but your not doing that large of a area. Also keep in mind when your done your going to have a HIGH DOLLAR job ready to last for years and years if its done right. And your saving money by doing it your self. So by asking around and by using good products such as ditra and finding the right products like your doing then your coming out way ahead.

Congrats

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...Materials/c/SM

Last edited by Redlands Okie; 02-05-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Redlands Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #22
gyouska

so I should use modified to stick the ditra and unmodified for the tile?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #23
gyouska

If I use modified to stick my tile will it be any different?
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
Obo2

You need modified ansi 118.11 to adhere the ditra to the plywood. This is important to get a good bond to the wood.

You need an unmodified preferably large format or medium bed thinset to set your tiles. If you use a modified thinset here you will be looking at cure times in the months rather than days. I have used extra modified to fill waffles and allowed to open air dry for 24 hours before using unmodified to set tile.

I used mapei ultraflex to install my ditra and mapei karabond t medium bed to lay my large format tiles over plywood.

These were readily available from floor and decor and i decided to go with mapeis products because they have a rep that regularly posts here.

I highly recomend downloading the ditra installation guide or reading the one included with the ditra. It contains a wealth of info.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #25
gyouska

what is the difference between large format tile mix vs regular unmodified thinset?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #26
gyouska

I thought modified thin set tends to dry quicker why can I not use it to stick the tiles as well?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #27
gyouska

trying to figure out how much thinset

Hi all. I have 500 sqft kitchen to tile. I am going to be using ditra for underlayment. I understand I need to use modified thin set to stick the ditra. the ditra trowel is 11/64 is it required to use this size trowel or can I get buy with 1/8 square notched trowel. let me know if you have any experience with this. also I am going to use 1/2 trowel to stick my tiles onto ditra using unmodified thin set. I need to figure out how many bags of each I need to buy. I have found info for how much sqft 50 lb bag of thin set covers using 3/8 trowel, but I can not find info for how much it covers using 1/2 trowel. any help and tips are much appreciated!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 AM   #28
Kman

gyouska, do you have a first name that you can put in your permanent signature line that we can call you? It doesn't have to be your real name, you can use an alias, but we're a friendly bunch and like to refer to each other by name on occasion.

Also, it appears the three threads you started regarding thinset are from the same project, so I merged them all here. Let's keep all questions related to this project on this thread, so that questions and answers aren't duplicated, and the history is in one place.

With a 1/8" notch trowel, you'll get about 100 square feet per 50lb. bag. With a 1/2" trowel over Ditra, you'll get 30-35 square feet per 50lb. bag.

I would hold that 1/8" trowel up almost vertical to get the maximum amount of mud on the floor. Normally a 45 degree angle is what we recommend, but the 1/8" is just a little shy of the 11/64 Ditra trowel. Holding it up a little straighter will get you closer to the proper amount.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #29
Redlands Okie

choosing underlayment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyouska View Post
I thought modified thin set tends to dry quicker why can I not use it to stick the tiles as well?

Most types of Modified usually takes longer to dry.

Thinset bonds due to a chemical reaction. It takes water to have this chemical reaction. When thinset is used over something like plywood that absorbs water you run the risk of the chemical reaction not finishing due to lack of water. Same thing for it drying out due to evaporation of the water into the air. So the modified is slowing down the water loss process. There some other stuff going on but but preventing water loss is the key.

Thinset applied between two products that do not allow much water to travel thru or into them such as ditra or porcelain tile takes a while to dry. The excess moisture not used in the chemical reaction has to escape thru the grout joints and it can take a long time for migrate to them to do so. Modified just increase that drying time. A LOT. It can be weeks or months.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
gyouska

ok definitely. My first name is Steve! so 1/2 trowel will get me roughly 30 sqft. what about if I use the 1/8 trowel to stick the ditra. will 1/8th work alright if I hold it as vertical as possible? I know they recommend 11/64 but they want 30 bucks for it and I already have a 1/8 trowel.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase