Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
SBSB

SB's Kitchen

Hi am have a question regarding my floor rating/capacity
We already have new tiles installed in our kitchen floor which is first floor. We have a basement underneath.
Floor joists supporting kitchen floor are 1 1/2x 9 spanning 13ft @ 16 on center
The contractor calls it 2x10 but I measure them as 9 deep instead of 9 1/4 which is standard 2x10 lumber I see Hem Fir No1 or no2 stamp on a couple of them
At one location the tile guy told me that he noticed a low spot for floor n had to use almost 1/2-3/4 extra thunder to level the floor

My questions
Is my floor ok to handle the additional tile load - I know I m a bit late to ask but just peace of my mind. Do I need to be concerned of additional deflection of joists
is should it be a concern with additional thinset he put?
How can I measure /monitor joist deflection over time?
should I just sister the joists or every other joists no matter what or does Simpson have any product which I can use?

The floor joists are accessible from basement.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Most thinsets are not designed to be installed that thick...they tend to shrink and crack. There are some that can handle it. Do you have a golf ball? Try bouncing it on various areas of the floor. It should all sound the same. You can do the same with say a baseball bat and just tap (no home runs here!). A solid tile bond will have a different sound than one that doesn't.

FWIW, it's up to the installer to assess the state of the substrate, and bring it up to industry standards prior to installing tile. Applying thinset that thick is not an accepted fix.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, SB.

I've separated your post from the other members unrelated thread. We can change the title if you don't like this one.

Aside from what Jim pointed out, we can't really address your tile installation without at least knowing what you have for a subfloor and a tiling substrate.

Your joist structure sounds like it should be OK, but I'm a little confused about the grade of the joists. Unusual to have more than one grade of lumber used in framing a floor. The nine-inch measurement for your joists is not at all uncommon. If the joists were still a bit wet when installed they could shrink that extra quarter-inch, but that's not likely to be a problem given your description of the structure.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase