Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
starlight

Desperate for help in designing tile shower (and how to construct)...

We are remodeling an older home and changing a bedroom into a master bath/closet. I have decided that I would love to have a walk-in (no door) tile shower. Now I have to design it!

Our plans are to place the shower at the "end" of the space that we have designated for the bathroom. This area is 6 ft wide, so the shower will be 6'x4' (from wall to wall). I have searched all over the internet and I am finding conflicting advice on where/how to place the door and shower head. Obviously, at this point the door will be on the 6ft wall....

Questions...
1) Shower head on the same wall as the walk-in door or on the far 4' wall?

2) Do we need any type of small wall to help with the "splash factor"? (it has been recommended to use a "jog" wall.. from what I have gathered, it will be a small wall that goes into the interior of the shower... perpendicular and attached to the walk-in wall).... (other thought is to extend the entrance area of the shower and place an off set parallel wall to the walk-in wall)

3) The bedroom (soon to be bathroom) had hardwood floors, which we ripped up in the bathroom area. We also took the old plaster off of the walls, down to the studs. What do we need to do (framing wise) to get ready for the tile? (we have not yet built the shower walls... other than the two walls that are already there)

Sorry for so many questions... I have a ton more... but these are the most pressing right now! I just want to make sure that we do it right the first time.. this is my grandparents old farmhouse and hubby and I plan on staying there the forever . Once we get the design finalized I will be probing for more information.
starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

I was going to answer this till I realised who it was. I'll let others give their take on it first.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
starlight

Thanks Bill... I finally made it over to this bulletin board!

I still wished that you would go on your North American tour to help all of us panic-stricken people getting in over our head with these "ideas" !
Old 05-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Ya never know.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #5
BlueCanyon

Hi Starlight,

We did a walk in shower, and I love it. We angled the door way out (instead of in). The wall that is on the door way side is glass block. The shower head is on the far 3.5' wall. When I go in to turn it on, I have to twist the showerhead to the side so I won't get bombarded with cold water, but that's no big deal. I would have put the showerhead on the glass block wall side so that I could just reach in and turn the water on without actually walking into the shower to the far end, but because of the glass block wall we chose the end wall instead. We did our shower in kerdi and the bathroom floor with ditra (waterproofed) so that spray from the shower onto the floor wouldn't matter. Anyway, we always have a bath mat right there, so I'm not sure it would matter anyway - there is really very very little overspray.

I'm attaching a picture before the glass block went in so you can see what I mean by the angled out door. and another one with the glass wall when the whole thing was a work in progress.

Anyway, I think you'd be fine with just a straight open doorway.

Good luck - Mary Ann
Attached Images

BlueCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
starlight

Blue Canyon.... I think that you just solved my problem!!! That extra little angle looks like it will be enough to help with any overspray. I also love the color of tile and the accent "stripe". Can you give me more information on what you used? I haven't started researching that yet, but those colors would be perfect for us.

(edited to add.... forgot to ask... how wide is your walk-in opening?)

I have visited one tile place here in town (that's the only "shopping" that I have done). She is recommending using porcelain in a shower (not ceramic, not tumbled marble...etc) because it is stronger and more water resistant.

Now....

Can anyone help out with the framing (construction of the walls) for the shower.

Last edited by starlight; 05-17-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
BlueCanyon

I'm sure others will have good ideas too - this board is full of them.

The field tile is Ariana Durango - Beige. It's a porcelain that is very rustic looking. This is in a mountain home, so it fits in perfectly. The listello is no longer made - it is stone, not porcelain, but most of the listellos that I liked were stone. We wanted one with quite a bit of contrasting color, and I just fell in love with this one - I'm glad you like it.

I'm not home to measure exactly, but the opening is about 26 inches wide - if it was on a straight line with the glass block. Since it's angled, it's a few more inches wide at the curb. It is plenty wide.

You may also be interested in our bench. We built a monument bench (see liberry) that is triangle shaped in that corner between the niche and the window. So it kind of parallels the angled walk in curb ... know what I mean? I found a fuzzy picture, I'm attaching.

Mary Ann
p.s. Everything you are wondering/asking is EXACTLY what I wondered and asked!
Attached Images

BlueCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
starlight

We definitely want a bench in our shower.... but I have heard that they can be hard to install correctly (leaking). Right now, I don't have an installer lined up (need to research that also... lots of phone calls and questions!)... so I'm not comfortable planning a bench. On another post (not sure if it was this BB), someone mentioned that they have a teak stool/bench in the corner of the shower. Really looks nice... and it is moveable. As of now, we are planning on going the teak route... unless the installer can convince me that a bench won't leak!

I really, really love the colors of your shower. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Starlight-- one thing you're forgetting about that you were asking about over in THS was going without a curb. That's been the biggest stumbling block with what you want to do.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
starlight

Oops! I don't remember saying curbless.... but I have been so stressed over planning this I certainly could have . I just had no idea where to even begin on designing this shower.... I've never used a doorless shower before, but I love the thoughts of it!

Sorry if I confused you Bill!! Curb or curbless design is fine.... I just want a BIG shower! Our current one is a 3x3 (if that big!) fiberglass shower (in panels)... I HATE IT! Can't wait to get started on this project.... now that I have a design......

Now... on to the kitchen (countertops, backsplash, flooring, cabinets, etc). I've told my hubby that if our marriage survives after this move/remodel... then we are set for life .
Old 05-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Nope-- my bad-- It was someone else who inserted the "curbless" criteria in the thread!! Sorry about that! (I just went back and read thru the thread!)

Now, as for that kitchen....!!

Old 05-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
starlight

Tile on ceiling??? .... or not.....

For those of you that have a tiled shower..... is your ceiling tiled also? If not, what is recommended for that area?

I know that you "can" tile the ceiling, but to be honest, I would like to save a little $$$ and skip the ceiling if possible.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
jdm

Plain old drywall with a good quality paint should work fine.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #14
starlight

Thanks jdm.... I was hoping that was the case.

Forgot to mention that there is plaster on the ceiling now (we tore it off the walls). Good paint on the plaster??!! (It's not plaster on lathe... it is on plaster/cemet boards).

Wow.... never knew this old house project was going to be so big, confusing, stressful, and take so long....... and we are just getting started!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
jdm

That will be fine, too.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase